Re: [casi] Bomb in Najaf has kills 82, including leading Shia - FT

On 29 Aug 2003 at 19:46, Yasser Alaskary wrote:

> The fact that it was carried out next to the shrine of Imam Ali means
> it definitely was not a shi'ite group and not a religious sunni group.
> which leaves the primary suspects as saddam followers or wahabis.

Nasrallah hints at another suspect or even collusion.

http://194.90.101.50/gsnlib_a/GSN2003/2003_09/20030902/215947.html

US, Israel stood to gain from Najaf bomb-Hizbollah

02.09.2003 1:32:00 Reuters World Report

BEIRUT, Sept 1 (Reuters) - The leader of Lebanon's Hizbollah
guerrilla group told mourners massed in Beirut that the United States
and Israel had most to gain from the killing of a top Shi'ite cleric
in a car bombing last week in Iraq.

"The Americans do not want a state in Iraq, they want a splintered
Iraq and the Israelis want to crush Iraq," Hizbollah leader Sheikh
Hassan Nasrallah told about 3,000 Shi'ites gathered in the city's
southern suburbs to mourn Mohammed Baqer al-Hakim.

"For more than one reason it is in Israel's interests and part of its
plan to kill the leaders that present or even might present a danger
to Israel," Nasrallah said.

The cleric stopped short of blaming Israel or its main ally the
United States directly for Hakim's killing on Friday in an attack in
Najaf, one of Shi'ite Islam's holiest cities, which killed more than
80 people.

Supporters who could not cram into the vast hall where Nasrallah
spoke watched him on television screens in the street outside, many
waving Hakim's picture or black flags. Iraqi mourners held banners
proclaiming their loyalty to Hizbollah.

Nasrallah, whose Iranian-backed group helped drive Israel out of
southern Lebanon in 2000 after a 22-year occupation, said attacks
such as Hakim's killing or Israeli attacks on Palestinian militant
leaders would strengthen the Arabs.

"In Palestine today, Israel has taken the decision to cross out the
leaders of Hamas and Islamic Jihad, the leaders of the uprising in
Palestine," Nasrallah said.

"But this (Arab) nation, in its cultural, emotional and mental make-
up...when it is threatened with death is provoked and when it is
killed it awakens and resurges," he said.

Nasrallah said such an awakening had started to take place in Iraq as
a result of the killing of Hakim, which was the deadliest attack
since the United States toppled Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein in April.
Washington and members of Iraq's U.S.-appointed governing council
have blamed Saddam loyalists for the attack.

"Oh Americans and Zionists, no matter how much of our leaders' blood
you spill you cannot impose on us your tyranny or your projects," he
said.

Mark Parkinson
Bodmin
Cornwall