Re: [casi] Bomb in Najaf has kills 82, including leading Shia - FT

> Iraqi political leaders have already pointed the finger of blame at
> loyalists to the regime of Saddam Hussein.

> On April 10, a Najaf mob murdered Abdelmajid al-Khoi, son of the late
> grand ayatollah Abu al-Qassem al-Khoi. Some blamed the killing on Moqtada
> Sadr, a young militant cleric, although Mr Sadr has strenuously denied
> the charge.

Where do the Iraqis and experts amongst us think, is this violene directed
at the top echelons of the traditional shia religious structure coming
from? Inter-shia (Sadr??), Inter-Islamist (shia-sunni/foreign islamists??)
or shia-nationalist/ba'athist - or from somewhere quite different? There
seem to be few meaningful reports on this around currently.

And what do those who have some knowledge in these areas think, is the net
effect of what appears to be, if not a planned, than at least a defacto
gradual (???) thinning of the traditional shia structures. who gains, and
what wider repercussions may it have?

questions for whole books, but if someone has some answers, or suggestions
for further reading, I would be very grateful.

best
Nicholas