Re: [casi] In Defense of Fast Food

Yes, Iran was in a position to take over Iraq.  In fact, the process had
already started.

While it is true that Iraq did indeed start the war, Saddam Hussein
believed that it would be a short one and he would have Tehran, I
believe, in 8-weeks or so.

Things didn't work out that way.  Iraq made minor advances into Iran,
approx 45 miles or so, and that was as far as Iraq ever got for the next
8-years.

Iran started counter attacking and began making headway.  Things got
real nasty for Iraq when Iran starting using 'human wave' attacks: Tens
of thousands of militia, peasants, teenagers, old men, etc... that were
armed with nothing but a gun (in some cases, not even that) began
overwhelming the Iraqi troops in what were some pretty grotesque and
bloody battles.  In fact, Iran got within 13 miles of Basra, the 2nd
largest city of Iraq.

As it became evident to the rest of the world that Iraq was now clearly
on the defensive (and the potential danger thereof), major powers of the
world responded by aiding Iraq military to insure that would not be
overrrun by the Iranians.

To make a long story short, the war went on a total of 8-years and
neither side had a thing to show for it.  Saddam viewed the cease-fire
as a victory for Iraq, though, because the Iranians had 'vowed' to never
stop until Iraq was defeated, and that never happened.

About the leaders, Bush did the right thing to do go to war with Iraq.
Amongst other things, given Iraq's history of 16 U.N. violations, with a
 17th failure to comply in a post 9/11 world, a full scale invasion of
Iraq was the most sane thing to do.

--Darin