[casi] Chlorine -- according to DOD's DIA + UN Role +Galloway

Dear Colleagues,

   I can't stay out of the chlorine discussion any longer. Please refer to
"Iraq Water Treatment Vulnerabilities" from the DIA (found easily on the DOD
site by simply putting in the title in the search field of google.com

REPORTS INDICATE THE CHLORINE SUPPLY IS CRITICALLY LOW. ITS
IMPORTATION HAS BEEN EMBARGOED, AND BOTH MAIN PRODUCTION
PLANTS EITHER HAD BEEN SHUT DOWN FOR A TIME OR HAVE BEEN
PRODUCING MINIMAL OUTPUTS BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF IMPORTED
CHEMICALS AND THE INABILITY TO REPLACE PARTS. PREVIOUSLY WHEN
SUPPLIES WERE LOW, THE IRAQI SHAVE STOPPED CHLORINATING THE
DRINKING WATER, BUT ONLY FOR SHORT PERIODS.

  Sadly, it's pretty had to argue that the UN has not let itself be  debased
as a figleaf for  the US (90%) and the UK (10%) to kill staggering numbers of
Iraqis by preventing the production of safe water. Sure the Sanctions
Committee of the UN would eventually permit in chlorine only to put holds on
other items indispensible for making the whole system work.

   Sadly the killing putting the priority on looting the oil rather than
restoring electricity and rehabilating the water system continues in
"liberated" Iraq.

   The Australian engineers from Care, Inc in Baghdad told me in Oct, 2002 of
the cruel games that the sanctions committee of the UN was playing -- e.g.,
despite the fact that water equipement was paid in hard dollars, the Iraqis
and the NGO were not permitted to inspect the shipments for completness and
usability BEFORE 100% payment to the vendors! The result was predictable
disaster.

   Tom
   Breathing the free air of Canada!

p.s. Why does this list (or it's members do more to support George Galloway,
M.P.? Is he still banned by the "Labor" Party? I made my modest contribution
to his legal fund and hope other list members do so as well unless this is
strictly an academic enterprise.

Tom
Thomas J. Nagy, Ph.D.
Assoc. Prof. of Expert Systems
George Washington Univeristy Sch. of Business & Public Mgt.
Washington, D.C. 20052
home.gwu.edu/~nagy