Re: [casi] Regarding 'Testimony of the Iraqi Doctor'

> 'United for Peace and Justice' is headed by
> Leslie Cagan, a Sixties Marxist with a long history
> of supporting Communist causes.

The horror! The horror!

Still, we can't all be supporting the good old
neocon causes. Being apolitical myself, I am
terrified at the thought of one single ideology
reigning supreme. I am especially frightened of
a planet completely dominated by the neocon
ideologists of the New World Order. (That thought
also frightens quite a few Americans.)

It would be a world devoid of anything that makes
us human. Einstein, in 1945, predicted that the
US would succumb to a 'military mind' - a mind that
calls its victims 'collateral damage'.

And I am thinking of people like Paul Wolfowitz;
Richard Perle; Perle's sidekick Michael Rubin; David
Makovsky, a senior WINEP fellow and former executive
editor of the pro-Likud Jerusalem Post; Makovsky's
brother Michael... just to name a few.

Then there is David Horowitz, a born-again neocon -
and lapsed Marxist. Horowitz uses his websites,
CSPC and FrontPage Magazine, to vociferously
demand '(neocon) political correctness'. He also
goes in for inflaming racial tensions - or as he
sees it - he is standing up to the 'racial arsonists'
who advocate reparations for slavery. And to round
things up, Horowitz publishes a newsletter,
'Heterodoxy', which if full of vicious rants about
Black Americans, feminists, and homosexuals.

To me this sounds alarmingly racist, given that
this the year 2003. I myself feel reparations for
the abomination of slavery are both just and fair.

But I am especially apprehensive of Daniel Pipes'
fanaticism. Pipes, the publisher of the Middle
East Quarterly (MEQ) is a latter-day McCarthy.
He wants to stamp out all expressions critical
of US foreign policy, ie, to annihilate dissent
by destroying the dissenters. Prof. Nagy is one
of the victims of Pipes' witch hunts.

Pipes also runs CampusWatch, euphemistically
described as 'adult education'. CampusWatch
aims to stamp out all _wrong_ views about
Middle East policy. Only the _right_ views will
be tolerated - those endorsing Israel's policies.
To this end, Pipes hunts down university professors
who express impure thoughts. Their names, address,
and thought crimes are then listed on MEQ. (This
courtesy allows frequenters of Pipes' website to
bombard the culprits with death threats.)

I think a democracy should welcome dissent. At
least it should not fear it. But when dissent
gets suppressed or even punished, as the Bush
regime does, you are looking at totalitarianism,
not democracy.

> ... an organization whose purpose is propaganda
> and political support for the Castro dictatorship.

'A dictatorship is much easier', the young Bush
apparently said while campaigning for president
in 2000. And as he subsequently demonstrated, he
wasn't kidding.

But unlike other people I could name, Fidel Castro
is able to consider and discuss other views. He was
for many years a close friend of Pierre Trudeau,
former Canadian prime minister. Trudeau maintained
trade relations with Cuba. He visited Havana, and
hailed Castro with 'Viva Fidel!'. The US didn't like
any of this. Nixon particularly disliked Trudeau's
preference for peace - and his fascination with the East.

When Trudeau died in 2000, Castro came to the
funeral. The US didn't like that either. Castro
was one of the honorary pallbearers. So was former
US president Carter. Communists are human beings too.

> In otherwords, Leslie Cagan is a communist nutcase.

Ah well... She has probably been called worse
things by better people - as Trudeau might have said.

In fact, he did say it:

When the Watergate tapes were made public, some not
so lovely epithets were revealed that Nixon had
bestowed on Trudeau - one equating him with an anal
aperture. Trudeau merely shrugged his shoulders and
raised his brows when he was told about it:

"I've been called worse things by better people,"
he said to a friend.

> Any information coming out of her, any of her
> organizations, or any organization she (or her
> organizations) are affiliated with I take with a
> grain of salt. Zero Value -> Zero Meaning.

Good idea! And since one 'knows' that beforehand,
one can just put the brain on autopilot. But I'd
make that a tablespoon of salt - be prepared.

The FBI was similarly paranoid about Trudeau: for
many years they kept a files on every move he made.

Trudeau was an inveterate traveller with a passion
for Asia. He was widely read and was interested
in many ideas, including communism as a political
theory. And he had a quit wit.

During his 16 years in office, he did many things
the US found exasperating. For example, he reduced
Canada's role in NATO. He recognized China and Cuba.
And he opposed the Vietnam war.

Nixon couldn't make him out - that "clever son
of a bitch". And this frustrated Nixon even more:

"You've got to put it to these people for kicking
the U.S. around after what we did for that lousy
son of a bitch", Nixon once told Haldeman after
an exasperating session with Trudeau in the Oval
Office.

That's when Nixon got Haldeman to plant a negative
story about Trudeau with columnist Jack Haldeman.
This of course didn't faze Trudeau.

> (My brief visits at C.A.S.I. have already set off
> a number of red flags).

Perhaps it wasn't so much the length of your visits
that alarmed people, but the mode of your arrival.
As I see it, you swooped down on CASI like a tornado,
instead of coming in as a gentle breeze.

And there is one other thing: Your explanation
that you just _happened_ to stumble on CASI and
then decided to enlighten those "folks" is... well,
a bit tenuous - to say nothing about the assumption
that those "folks" need to be enlightened by a
complete stranger. And that you then had all those
'debunking' stories on hand is another coincidence.
The third point is that all these stories, including
Dr. Baram's, so conveniently lead back to the
intrepid Daniel Pipes and his MEQ - another coincidence.

To me it sounded more as if you came with a
mission - Pipes-style. Still, Virginia, there
may after all be a Santa Claus.

Anyway, these are really minor points - reflecting
my own take. You have actually done extremely
well on CASI... Besides, a "Darin Zeilweger"
by any other name may be just as sweet.

Regards,
Elga Sutter

P.S. We just got a a little taste what it must
feel like to live in occupied Iraq: no electricity,
in many places no water, water treatment plants
collapsing. Boil the water came the warnings. How?
Extreme heat - no air conditioning. No stores
open - no food. Hospitals had to cancel scheduled
operations. Looting started almost immediately in
some places. And a state of emergency was declared.
And it isn't over yet here in Canada.

Yet compared to what are _normal_ days in the life
of an Iraqi, this is a picnic.