RE: [casi] Iraq - water - chlorine - sanctions

Greetings list,
>From the previous post: " But certain national interests could be blamed at
specific periods for delaying the rehabilitation of
water systems/supplies"

Surely the UN Sanctions Committee was dominated
at all times by the US and UK representatives. Even if
chlorine was taken off the dual use items list in
1998 (was there an official statement by the UN
Sanctions committee to that effect?) the US and UK
would have continued to delay shipments,
Philippa Winkler

==== Original Message From "R. & M. Skinner" <remskinner@bluewin.ch> =====
>[ Presenting plain-text part of multi-format email ]
>
>Greetings List, particularly Colin, Ghazwan and Boris,
>
>As a member of the CASI list from its early days I have noted recent
exchanges on the subjects of  water, chlorine and sanctions. I have now had a
quick look at some of the downloaded CASI postings this subject over the
years.
>I think it would be fair to say "no" to Ghazwan's question:
>quote: Would you accept that the UN "frustrated"  the efforts of the Iraqi
government to get chlorine, imported or donated, to be used in water treatment
plants?  "frustrated" or "banned" resulted in the death of thousands and
thousands of people. unquote.

>"The UN" as such cannot be blamed. But certain national interests could be
blamed at specific periods for delaying the rehabilitation of water
systems/supplies. Our CASI records show that many UN agencies  and others were
trying to get adequate supplies of treated water to all in need of it. And, of
course,  chlorine without a sustained supply of electricity or without
delivery systems to all, does not alone help a nation's people at risk.

>To be fair, I think we could accept the UN Sanctions Committee is not an
agency of the UN nor is it in that sense a part of its administration.
Composed of government representatives under the authority of the Security
Council, the Sanctions Committee would deliberate specific requests for a
country or region against the backdrop of current international tensions and
the force of opinion and influence of any or more of its members at specific
times.

>Paul Conlon's book exposes problems encountered during one period.
>At different times, for different countries  and for different (changing)
vested national interests as expressed by strong or weak personalities,
different majority decisions could be taken. The whole topic could interest a
keen PhD student.