[casi] Re: US contractors unreliable in war zones

[casi] US contractors unreliable in war zones

* From: "ppg" <ppg@DELETETHISnyc.rr.com>
* Subject: [casi] US contractors unreliable in war zones
* Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 01:55:02 -0400

"Some of Army's Civilian Contractors Are No-Shows in Iraq

BY DAVID WOOD
Newhouse News Service

WASHINGTON -- U.S. troops in Iraq suffered through months of unnecessarily
poor living conditions because some civilian contractors hired by the Army
for logistics support failed to show up, Army officers said.

Months after American combat troops settled into occupation duty, they were
camped out in primitive, dust-blown shelters without windows or air
conditioning. The Army has invested heavily in modular barracks, showers,
bathroom facilities and field kitchens, but troops in Iraq were using
ramshackle plywood latrines and living without fresh food or regular access
to showers and telephones.

Even mail delivery -- also managed by civilian contractors -- fell weeks
behind .... "

Goodness me, these poor, frail babes. Sounds a bit to me like most Iraqis
have been enduring in one aspect or more for the last thirteen years (and it
has hardly sapped US enthusiasm for machine gunning people down,
incinerating them in their cars, smashing up homes, stealing belongings,
humiliating women by running hands over them - and small girls -)  Want a
shower, telephone, air-confitioning? Go home then. Forgive me if I don't
weep.  Best, felicity a.

behind