The following is an archived copy of a message sent to a Discussion List run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq Homepage]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[casi] "They were treating us like cattle" - Abuse By American Troops in Iraq

1) Arrests And Abuse By American Troops On The Rise In Iraq

2) French Original: "Les troupes américaines multiplient arrestations et
bavures en Irak :
«Ils nous traitaient comme du bétail»



Translated from Libération (Paris), July 30, 2003:

Arrests And Abuse By American Troops On The Rise In Iraq

"They're treating us like cattle"

By Marc Semo

Libération: July 30, 2003: The curfew had just begun, at 11 p.m., as it has
for the past three months in the Iraqi capital, and Nudir was late, but he
was only a few hundred meters from his villa in the Zeyouna district when an
American patrol blocked the BMW where he and two friends happened to be.
Polite, but firm,
the GIs stretched them out on the hood.  They searched the vehicle.  In the
glove compartment they had a revolver for self-defense, as many Iraqis do.
The Americans handcuffed them at once.  "They made us get into an armored
troop transport, and there they began to beat us up," said the young
engineer, who, after spending the night at a collection center stuffed into
a wire-mesh cage with 350
other suspects, finally ended up at the airport prison, "Camp Cropper,"
which consists of tarps surrounded by barbed wire under a blistering sun.
There he spent sixteen days. That was at the end of May.  He was registered
as "enemy prisoner of war" number 8,122.

NUMBER 16,481

As for Tony, he was arrested ten days later, on June 3, at his home in the
Al-Mansour district. "Some thieves had started pillaging the house next
door.  Along with the other neighbors, we had started shooting in the air to
make them go away, and the Americans arrived a few minutes later. They
weren't interested in the thieves.  They asked who had fired and where the
guns were.  I showed them the Kalashnikov I was keeping to protect my
family.  They confiscated it, and then they bound my hands and took me
away," says the young Christian economist.  It would be thirty-seven days
before he came home again, after spending time in the prison camps that have
been built in the southern part of the country, near Um Qasr.  During his
time in Camp Cropper, he received the number 16,481.

Statistics are lacking, but these registration numbers give an idea of the
number of persons arrested in Baghdad during the round-ups and searches
conducted by American troops. "An enormous numbers of detainees are coming
and going, making any precise accounting impossible," says a representative
of the International Committee of the Red Cross.  While acknowledging that
he "now has access to all detention centers," he complains about "the major
problems, namely the slowness of procedures and the absence of lawyers and

The misadventures of Nudir and Tony are two stories among many others
testifying to the daily repression enforced by American troops, who are
feeling increasingly nervous.  In his report to the Security Council, the UN
representative in Baghdad, Sergio Viera De Mello, expressed his concerns
about the status of human rights in Iraq.  Amnesty International, in a [July
23] "Memorandum on concerns relating to law and order"
(, denounced "reports
of torture or ill treatment by Coalition Forces."  There are also "abuses,"
more and more frequent, during violent operations, for the GIs are still
behaving as if they were at war.  Shots at civilian cars that have the
misfortune to pass by at the wrong moment.  Shots at occupants of a
commandeered house who start to react defensively because they think they're
being robbed.  From a legal point of view, everything remains in a state of
utter vagueness.


To all this must be added the poor hygiene, the heat, and the crowding in
the detention centers improvised by the Americans, who, in addition to the
tarpaulin camps, have put back into service the immense Abu Ghraib prison,
the symbol of the thirty years of repression by the defunct regime. "It is
shameful to see people detained in inhumane conditions without their
families being informed, often for
weeks," said Mahmoud Ben Romdhane, the head of Amnesty's delegation to Iraq,

There is certainly no comparison between the life of a detainee today and
what that was during Saddam's time, but those who have been incarcerated by
the Americans remain profoundly shocked, even if they acknowledge that in
general the GI guards "behaved appropriately."  General Ricardo
Sanchez, the commander of coalition forces in Iraq, explained the
difficulties in publishing lists of prisoners to inform families "because of
problems in spelling names, which are often imprecise."


When he arrived at Camp Cropper, near the airport, Nudir broke down.  "Under
nothing but a tarp, there were 200 of us, and we didn't have the right to
leave the barbed-wire enclosure that surrounded each tent.  There were a
dozen of them, and we couldn't talk back and forth, except by making distant
gestures," said the engineer.  In the neighboring tent, he saw some "VIPs" -
former officials of the regime on the list of wanted persons, including the
former president of Parliament, Sadoun Hammadi - who "was being treated like
everybody else."  "We slept on the ground, on newspapers or, for those who
were lucky, on gunnysacks.  The food was meager, army rations once a day,
and water was even scarcer, scarcely three liters a day despite the extreme
heat  It was always hot, brought in metal containers.  The latrines were
just holes dug inside the enclosure giving off a pestilential stench,"
recalled Nudir, for whom the worst was going without cigarettes.  Smoking
was strictly prohibited. At the slightest infraction, the detainees were
punished by making them stand for hours in the sun, arms and legs
outstretched.  "When a prisoner collapsed, they brought him to with a little
water, and then he had to resume his standing position," said the
ex-detainee, who also saw some of his companions punished for more serious
misconduct by being thrown into the dirt on their stomach with their hands
tied under the hot sun.  "They didn't beat us, but they treated us like
cattle," exclaimed Tony, who, after two days, was transferred to the south,
to Um Qasr, to a prisoner-of-war camp, "where at least there was soap to
wash with."


During his detention, Nudir was interrogated only once, for five minutes.
"I didn't know how long I would be there. Then one day they called my
number.  I learned I was free," he said.  His family had only been informed
of his detention fourteen days later.  "They thought I had been killed by
robbers, and for days they made the rounds of police stations, the Red
Crescent, the International Red Cross, the American authorities, all to no
avail," the engineer complained.

When Tony was finally interrogated, after ten days in the Um Qasr camp, and
was able to tell his story, the officer suddenly stood up.  "I thought he
was going to hit me, but he shook my hand, saying he was truly sorry for
what had happened to me," said the economist, who nonetheless had to wait
seventeen more days to be freed, after two other lengthy interrogations by
intelligence officers who asked him if he belonged to the Baath Party,
whether he knew any Baathists, what he had done during the Kuwait war, and
why he didn't support the Iraqi National Congress of Ahmed Chalabi, the
Americans' protégé.  He was able to prove his good faith.  They walked him
to the camp's gate, in the middle of the desert, 430 miles from Baghdad.
They gave him $5 and it was up to him from there.  He sighed:  "I hold it
against the Americans.  Like a lot of other Iraqis, I blessed them for
having freed us from Saddam Hussein.  From now on, I have no more
Translated by Mark K. Jensen
Associate Professor of French
Chair, Department of Languages and Literatures



Les troupes américaines multiplient arrestations et bavures en Irak :
«Ils nous traitaient comme du bétail»


Les troupes américaines multiplient arrestations et bavures en Irak :

«Ils nous traitaient comme du bétail»

Par Marc SEMO
mercredi 30 juillet 2003

Bagdad envoyé spécial

Le couvre-feu venait de tomber, à 23 heures, comme depuis trois mois dans la
capitale irakienne, et Nudir était en retard, mais à peine à quelques
centaines de mètres de sa villa du quartier de Zeyouna, quand une patrouille
américaine a bloqué la BMW où il se trouvait avec deux amis. Polis, mais
fermes, les GI les couchent sur le capot. Ils fouillent le véhicule. Dans la
boîte à gants, comme beaucoup d'Irakiens, il avait un revolver pour se
défendre. Aussitôt, les soldats leur lient les mains. «Ils nous ont fait
monter dans un transport de troupes blindé et là ils ont commencé à nous
tabasser», raconte le jeune ingénieur, qui, après une nuit dans un centre de
regroupement, entassé dans une cage grillagée avec 350 autres suspects, est
finalement arrivé à la prison de l'aéroport, le «Camp Cropper», des bâches
entourées de barbelés et écrasées de soleil où il passera seize jours.
C'était fin mai. Il fut enregistré comme «enemy prisoner of war» avec le
numéro 8 122.

Matricule 16 481. Tony a, lui, été arrêté dix jours plus tard, le 3 juin à
son domicile du quartier d'Al-Mansur. «Des voleurs avaient commencé à piller
la maison d'à côté. Avec les voisins, nous avons commencé à tirer en l'air
pour les faire fuir, et les Américains sont arrivés quelques minutes plus
tard. Les voleurs ne les intéressaient pas. Ils ont demandé qui avait tiré
et où étaient les armes. Je leur ai montré la kalachnikov que je gardais
pour la protection de ma famille. Ils l'ont confisquée, puis m'ont lié les
mains et m'ont emmené», raconte le jeune économiste chrétien, qui ne
reviendra chez lui que trente-sept jours plus tard, après être passé par les
camps de prisonniers installés au sud du pays, près d'Oum Kasr. Lors de son
passage à Camp Cropper, il reçut le numéro 16 481.

Faute de statistiques, ces matricules donnent une idée du nombre de
personnes interpellées à Bagdad dans des rafles ou des contrôles menés par
les troupes américaines. «Il y a énormément de détenus qui entrent et
sortent, rendant impossible toute comptabilité précise», affirme un
représentant du CICR, qui, tout en reconnaissant «avoir désormais accès à
tous les lieux de détention», dénonce «les grands points noirs que sont
toujours la lenteur des procédures, comme l'absence d'avocats et de juges».

Les mésaventures de Nudir et de Tony sont deux histoires parmi tant d'autres
qui témoignent de la répression au quotidien menée par les troupes
américaines, toujours plus nerveuses. Dans son rapport devant le Conseil de
sécurité, le représentant de l'ONU à Bagdad, Sergio Viera De Mello, a
affiché ses préoccupations sur la situation des droits de l'homme en Irak.
Amnesty International, dans un «Mémorandum d'inquiétudes sur la loi et
l'ordre», a dénoncé «des cas de tortures et de mauvais traitements infligés
par les forces de la coalition». Il y a aussi les «bavures», de plus en plus
fréquentes, lors des opérations coup de poing, car les GI agissent toujours
comme s'ils étaient en situation de guerre. Tirs sur des voitures civiles
qui ont la malchance de passer par là au mauvais moment. Tirs sur les
occupants de la maison perquisitionnée qui esquissent une réaction de
défense croyant qu'il s'agit de pillards. Juridiquement, le flou le plus
complet continue de régner.

Conditions inhumaines. A cela s'ajoutent la mauvaise hygiène, la chaleur,
l'entassement des centres de détention improvisés par les Américains, qui,
outre les camps de toile, ont désormais remis en fonction l'immense prison
d'Abou Ghraib, symbole des trente ans de répression du défunt régime. «Il
est honteux de voir des personnes détenues dans des conditions inhumaines
sans que leurs familles soient informées, souvent pendant des semaines»,
s'indigne Mahmoud ben Romdhane, chef de la délégation d'Amnesty en Irak.

Il n'y a, certes, aucun rapport entre la vie d'un détenu aujourd'hui et ce
qu'elle était à l'époque de Saddam, mais ceux qui ont été incarcérés par les
Américains en restent profondément choqués, même s'ils reconnaissent en
général que les GI de garde «ont été corrects». C'est l'absurdité d'une
autorité d'occupation coupée des réalités du pays qui est en cause. Le
général Ricardo Sanchez, commandant des forces de la coalition en Irak, a
ainsi expliqué les difficultés à publier les listes de prisonniers pour
informer les familles «à cause de questions d'orthographe des noms souvent

A même le sol. A son arrivée au Camp Cropper, près de l'aéroport, Nudir
s'est effondré. «Sous une simple bâche, nous étions près de 200 et nous
n'avions pas le droit de sortir de l'enclos de barbelés qui entourait chaque
tente. Il y en avait une douzaine, et on ne pouvait pas communiquer de l'une
à l'autre, sinon de loin, par gestes», raconte l'ingénieur. Dans la tente
voisine, il a aperçu certains «VIP» ­ les anciens dignitaires du régime de
la liste des personnes recherchées, dont l'ex-président du Parlement,
Saadoun Hammadi ­, qui «étaient au même régime que tout le monde». «On
dormait à même le sol, sur du papier journal ou, pour les plus chanceux, des
sacs de jute. La nourriture était chiche, des rations de l'armée une fois
par jour et l'eau encore plus comptée, à peine trois litres par jour malgré
la canicule. Apportée dans des conteneurs métalliques, elle était toujours
chaude. Les latrines étaient juste des trous creusés à l'intérieur de
l'enclos qui dégageaient une odeur pestilentielle», témoigne Nudir, pour qui
le plus dur a été de se passer de cigarettes. Fumer était, en effet,
sévèrement interdit.

A la moindre incartade, les détenus sont punis en restant des heures debout
sous le soleil, bras et jambes écartés. «Quand le prisonnier s'effondrait,
on le ranimait avec un peu d'eau, puis il devait reprendre sa station
debout», précise l'ex-détenu, qui a vu aussi certains de ses camarades punis
pour des fautes plus graves, jetés les mains liées, à plat ventre dans la
poussière sous le cagnard. «On ne nous battait pas mais on nous traitait
comme du bétail», s'insurge Tony, qui, au bout de deux jours, fut transféré
au sud, à Oum Kasr, dans un camp pour prisonniers de guerre «où, au moins,
il y avait du savon pour se laver».

Indignation. Pendant sa détention, Nudir n'a été interrogé qu'une seule fois
durant cinq minutes. «Je ne savais pas jusqu'à quand je serais là. Puis un
jour on a appelé mon matricule. J'ai appris que j'étais libéré»,
raconte-t-il. Sa famille n'avait été informée de sa détention qu'au bout de
quatorze jours. «Ils croyaient que j'avais été tué par des voleurs et,
pendant des jours, avaient sans succès fait le tour des commissariats, du
Croissant-Rouge, de la Croix-Rouge internationale, des autorités
américaines», s'indigne l'ingénieur.

Quand Tony fut finalement interrogé, après dix jours dans le camp d'Oum Kasr
et put raconter son histoire, l'officier se leva d'un coup. «Je croyais
qu'il allait me frapper, mais il me serra la main en disant qu'il était
vraiment désolé pour ce qui m'était arrivé», témoigne l'économiste, qui dut
néanmoins attendre encore dix-sept jours pour recouvrer la liberté, après
deux autres longs interrogatoires d'officiers du renseignement qui lui
demandaient s'il faisait partie du Baas, s'il connaissait des gens du Baas,
ce qu'il avait fait pendant la guerre du Koweït et pourquoi il n'adhérait
pas au Congrès national irakien d'Ahmed Chalabi, le protégé des Américains.
Il put prouver sa bonne foi. On l'amena à la porte du camp, en plein désert,
à 700 km de Bagdad. On lui donna 5 dollars et à lui de se débrouiller. Il
soupire : «J'en veux aux Américains. Comme beaucoup d'autres Irakiens, je
les bénissais pour nous avoir libérés de Saddam Hussein. Désormais, je n'ai
plus d'illusions.».

© Libération

Sent via the discussion list of the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To unsubscribe, visit
To contact the list manager, email
All postings are archived on CASI's website:

[Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq Homepage]