Re: [casi] Peace Groups in Baghad.

> Described as a coalition of anti-war groups, with
> connections to the US Greeen Party, Quakers etc. -
> worthy sources & with vision - what could one
> possibly have reservations about?

Dear List,

A few points on these interesting comments on
possible "reservations" about Occupation Watch:

1-- These perceptions of Occupation Watch seem to
come regurgitated out of MSNBC's big stomach -
from the article posted on CASI July 23.
("Peace groups open Baghdad office") It's
second-hand information. The article concludes
with a parting shot from a US military spokesman:
"this groups efforts seem ludicrous". Really...?

It might be a good idea to get first-hand
information on Occupation Watch before venturing
into speculations. If you visit their website,
you'll find a detailed outline of their mandate
and aims. You'll also find articles on various
topics: http://www.occupationwatch.org

2-- "One" may of course have all sorts of
"reservations" about the creation and the aims
of Occupation Watch. But unless one is involved
in its creation, one can do nothing about it.

It would appear that the founders and probably
their Advisory Board decided on OW's mandate and
aims by themselves. This seems reasonably - CASI
was created in a similar framework. Naturally,
one may speculate what Occupation Watch should or
should not be doing. But these speculations will
lead nowhere: Occupation Watch will do what it
aims to do - and rightly so.

3-- So suggestions that Occupation Watch should
"not [be] just pointing fingers at the occupiers"
seem misplaced. Monitoring the occupation _is_
their sole mandate. And if one feels that the
Occupying Authority has been treated unfairly,
one can always notify Occupation Watch.

4-- Holding reservations:

To propose "reservations" about Occupation
Watch without having visited their website would
seem a little premature. But of course the media
proffers many of its reservations second-hand.

A friend of mine held strong reservations about
Proust's _Remembrance of Things Past_ without
ever having read the book. He was afraid he might
misinterpret it, so he relied on the
(mis)interpretations of renowned critics...

And as an aside, your message to the Iraqis:

> I still feel Iraqis, too, should make a conscious
> decision to re-discover the true values of humanity
> - & live it!

Wise words! No doubt Iraqis will treasure them.

However, for the last 13 years Iraqis have had
some exposure to the "true values of humanity",
as practised by the US and Britain - and condoned
by everyone else:

For example, the physical destruction in 1991,
right back to the pre-industrial age. Since then
continued bombing attacks, including the big one
in 1998. Then the final solution in 2003. In
addition, for 13 years Iraqis were punished with
economic ruin, starvation, suffering, and deaths
through the sanctions regime.

So, yes, Iraqis have a lot to learn about the
"true values of humanity".

Best regards,
Elga Sutter