[casi] !OT: list usage

Dear all,

I'd like to make a few pleas on my own behalf and maybe on behalf of other 'non-posters' to the
list. I have found the usefulness of the list much reduced recently by the way that list-usage is
developing; I have been deleting more and reading less than I might do if people posted in a more
disciplined way, and finding it more time-consuming to sort out which posts contain substantial
information and analysis (whether posted from other sources or the listmembers' own thoughts) of
the situation in Iraq.

Since Peter is still producing a news mailing, would it not be possible for people with articles
they wish to forward to send them initially to him, so that they can be included in his digest
under the appropriate heading?

Could people combine the analytical points they wish to make, and indeed related news stories if
they must send them directly to the list, in a single email, rather than sending several emails in
a row, each with forwarded items plus a couple of lines of their own commentary?

Could people NOT email responses to items others have posted to the whole list UNLESS those

I feel that people are posting in a rather hurried way; it is inevitable that people are rushed and
often frustrated and writing out of strong feelings; but I find it a bit insulting to be expected
to sort out what people are trying to say when it sometimes seems to me that they haven't
themselves taken the time to try and express it in a way which furthers the discussion. In other
words, it *is* the responsibility of those posting to the list, as well as of recipients, to
'filter' what they are saying - not to censor it, but to think twice about what is useful to others
on the list and how to present it in the most helpful way.

We do all have common concerns, and the list is designed to focus on those, to help us all in our
thinking and campaigning. Sticking to substantial information and analysis would keep the list
useful to all those subscribed to it.

In peace
Rachel