Re: [casi] Re: Iraq: Water-borne diseases increase with summer temperatures

The difficulty for campaigners and NGOs is that Iraq does not really
have a Government any more.

The continuous use of the word 'regime' by the media served two
purposes - firstly to legitimise action against the government of
Iraq and secondly to obscure that action was being taken against a
government with all the implications that that entails.

Note that the anti SH rhetoric was shown to be just that. Even though
he was gone, everything else had to be destroyed - incompetence or
deliberate policy?

Ordinary Iraqis could be forgiven their impatience. They saw how
quickly the US/UK destroyed their country and how they maintained and
improved on that destruction through sanctions. Why isn't that wealth
and power able to restore to Iraqis what they had before in a similar
time?

If the US/UK want to maintain control and be successful in Iraq then
they will need to spend serious money and quickly. The political
conditions for this can only come about by exposing the lies and
deception which led to the war and by exposing the serious damage
done to Iraq.

The only other solution would be for the US/UK to turn over Iraq to
the UN and pay reparations to help finance reconstruction.

To spend serious money will be difficult for the US. It could be
argued that the war was a great distraction from the economic
problems faced by the American people. Sounds familiar - isn't that
why SH invaded Kuwait and because he thought he could get away with
it?

Either way, CASI etc are needed.

The alternatives all look very bad for the Iraqi people at the
moment.

Mark Parkinson
Bodmin
Cornwall