Re: [casi] "gutless careerism"

>large -- the "don't ask, don't tell" mental blindness
>which psychologically permits the killing of others.
>What can we do to link up private protest with public
>protest movements, so that the individual who
>challenges the system on her/his own is supported?

Quite right. A good question.

>On the practical level, I wonder if there is a legal
>support group for academics who speak their mind,
>Philippa Winkler

This is a fragment from an old email I got from a local peace group:

> Meeting of all Arrested on 3/20 at 2:00pm with lawyers
> First United Methodist Church at the Chicago
> Temple, 77 W. Washington for more info call
> National Lawyers Guild 312/913-0039

>From what I can gather these lawyers are involved in with getting
protesters out of jail, but perhaps they do more or know of another
group. The ACLU might help, but their resources are stretched, of course.
Maybe a WEB search would yield good results (but I myself have to go to
library to get on the WEB, and that's not often). I'm not what sort of
legal case might be made, however.

If Tom is willing, I would send an email (what is the proper address?) to
the college protesting its actions, and I expect others (perhpas members
of the CASI list) would also -- I can send a request to the three
Illinois groups I'm in contact with. Similarly, other peace groups can
send out requests for support. Some might also send letters to the editor
of the appropriate newspapers. Another possibility is if groups local to
Tom learn about the situation they might take some action.

If this sort of counter is done on a regular basis, those who would
stifle dissent will learn to think twice about trying it. In order to
have an effect on the situation in Iraq -- or anywhere -- real freedom to
speak out is fundamental.