[casi] Tom's comments on 'Climate of fear'

Dear List Members,

Tom Nagy's statements that the recent Human Rights Watch (HRW) report
'Climate of fear: Sexual violence and abduction of women and girls' may be a
'version of the 1990 "babies from incubators" lie to distract us from real
attrocities' and that it 'smell[s] like damage control 101 from a member of
the US team' strike me as positively bizarre.

After all, far from 'blam[ing] the proximate cause, but carefully avoid[ing]
discussion of underlying cause[s]' the report makes it quite clear that
'[m]any of the problems in addressing sexual violence and abduction against
women and girls derive from the U.S.-led coalition forces and civilian
administration's failure to provide public security in Baghdad. The public
security vacuum in Baghdad has heightened the vulnerability of women and
girls to sexual violence and abduction.' As we all know under international
humanitarian law (IHL) an occupying power is obliged to maintain public
order and safety. So the report is actually saying that the US/UK are
failing to meet their obligations under IHL.

It is quite true that HRW sometimes applies a double standard when it comes
to the actions of the US Government and that they sometimes fail to hold it
accountable for its actions. However I can see nothing in this report that
sheds a good light on the US / UK - quite the reverse. Activists concerned
with the well-being of ordinary Iraqis should surely welcome this report for
the information it contains and use this information to press for the US &
UK governments to fulfil their obligations under international humanitarian
law (whilst at the same time pressing these same governments to use all the
resources at their disposal to the end the current humanitarian crisis,
clear-up unexploded ordnance etc... and campaigning for an end to the
occupation).

Best wishes,

Gabriel
(in a personal capacity)