Re: [casi] Down to earth analysis

>If one reads the =B3roadmap=B2, it is readily apparent >that it builds
on a false premise to reach an >unbelievable conclusion. The premise is
that the problem
>in Israel/Palestine is Palestinian resistance to the >36-year-long
occupation, not the occupation itself. The

If we wish to judge what the US will do in Iraq, we can look at the
implementation of the "roadmap". Consider the following story about the
number of settlements increasing rather than decreasing. With the
parallel paths of Sharon and Bush, US troops being trained by the
Israelis, policies of assasination with little regard for "collateral
damage", and the other connections, I can't feel too badly about letting
a bit of Palestine sneak into an Iraq-centered list, since one does
indeed seem to inform the other -- as hinted at by the heading of the
original posting. The lesson the Arabs are no doubt taking, as are many
others, is don't expect justice from the US and when it speaks, don't
believe it, but rather try to figure out what is behind the lie.

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
 WEEKDAY PRESS PICKS FROM
     THE ELECTRONIC INTIFADA
       AND ELECTRONIC IRAQ

   http://electronicIntifada.net
     http://electronicIraq.net
_______________________________

[...]

Islamic Republic News Agency (Iran)

http://palestinechronicle.com/article.php?story=20030710173516592

"The movement pointed out in a report published Thursday that the number
of new Jewish-only settlement outposts has actually increased and not
decreased since the Aqaba Summit .."

OCCUPIED JERUSALEM - The Israeli peace group, Peace Now, has accused
Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon of lying and misleading world public
opinion regarding the removal of colonial outposts in the West Bank.

The movement pointed out in a report published Thursday that the number
of new Jewish-only settlement outposts has actually increased and not
decreased since the Aqaba Summit conference on June 4.

Peace Now spokesman Yariv Oubenheimer said the Israeli army removed just
eight small outposts last month. He added that in return for the
dismantled outposts, Jewish settlers have erected ten outposts in the
same period, mostly likely with the Israeli army knowledge and tacit
approval.

He pointed out that only one small populated outpost was removed. The
Israeli regime has been giving the misleading impression that it is
removing and dismantling settlements when in fact the opposite is true.

The apartheid regime has built as many as 200 Jewish settlements and
towns throughout the West Bank and Gaza Strip, effectively killing the
prospect of creating a viable Palestinian state in the occupied
territories.

The settlements, linked by an extensive net of Jewish-only roads
bypassing and often encircling Palestinian population centers, have
nearly ghettoized Palestinian towns, cutting them off from each other.