Re: [casi] Troops take over Iraqi training pool

http://tinyurl.com/gpcf
NYTimes,Eric Schmitt July 11

WASHINGTON, July 10 - Gen. Tommy R. Franks said today that the Pentagon was
nearing a decision on a policy to regularly rotate thousands of Army forces
through Iraq for months and years to come.

With 20,000 soldiers of the Army's Third Infantry Division scheduled to
leave Iraq by September, defense officials are deciding what mix of Army and
allied forces will replace them, and when. The troops other allied countries
have sent to Iraq now and those due to arrive over the summer total about
30,000.

At the same time, the Army has hired Halliburton's Kellogg Brown & Root
subsidiary to feed and house up to 100,000 TROOPS in Iraq. The contractor
could erect large tents, but an Army spokesman said today that the $200
MILLION project ordered last month could also include SEMI-PERMANENT WOODEN
BUILDINGS similar to what American troops in Kosovo use.

Taken together, the new troop policy and housing contract represent perhaps
the most concrete examples of the Pentagon's long-term commitment to Iraq
and acknowledgment that rebuilding the country will probably take years and
large numbers of American forces.....

SKIP

Dan Carlson, a spokesman for the Army's Field Support Command in Rock
Island, Ill., said the agreement with Kellogg Brown & Root called for the
company to provide HOUSING for up to 100,000 forces at about 20 SITES
THROUGHOUT IRAQ.

The order was first reported this week by Inside the Army, a specialized
publication about Army matters.