[casi] Lost specimen form the "Baghdad Bulletin"

Hi all,

Here's the lost specimen form the "Baghdad Bulletin" entitled: "Electricity
cuts at hospitals continue to kill"

Sorry.

Please find also the mission statement of this new publication at the end.

Best

Andreas

--------------

http://www.baghdadbulletin.com/pageArticle.php?article_id=50&cat_id=1

Electricity cuts at hospitals continue to kill

Author: Allaa Yousef

Paul Bremer visited our hospital two months ago. We were told that the
purpose of his visit was to see the sick children. I was asked to be with
the medical personnel and welcome him on his visit.
He met a large number of our doctors, nursing staff and management
employees. He talked about the "liberation of Iraq," and he also said that
everything will be alright within two weeks. Electricity, he said, will be
maintained, the water supply will reach everywhere and the security
situation will be okay! This week, multiple events took place that made me
remember the words of Mr. Bremer.
The mains electricity went down all over the city last week. We are supposed
to have a private cable for supplying our complex when such things happen,
but this time when the supply went down, the generator failed to generate
electricity. As a result, all our ventilators stopped functioning within two
hours, when the emergency Uninterrupted Power Service power supply packs
charged off.
We turned my patients over to manual ventilation, using special bags
connected to oxygen bottles to pump air to their lungs. We continued by this
manual ventilation method for nine hours while the engineers were doing
their best to repair the generator, but to no avail.
We got permission from the manager to transport the patients to another
hospital with all our equipment and ventilators, risking the life of all
four of them. I had no other choice but to move them.
Losing Sherrin, a six year-old girl, made things more difficult to deal
with. Death chose her over all my other patients. Her system suddenly
collapsed. She was an only child with blonde hair and green eyes. Her mother
couldn't have children for six years of marriage and couldn't have any more
after her. Before her death, her mother felt so dispirited she went to the
US forces checkpoint in our medical complex and asked them for help.
Somebody there promised her help, but nothing reached us.
After 24 hours in the other hospital, in which we had gathered all our
patients, I was told that our generator was fixed. After losing Sherrin, we
returned to our hospital .
Five days later I was woken up at three in the morning. My assistant
informed me that a lot of patients were being transported to our hospital
from Al-Eskan hospital because their hospital was on fire.
I went down to the emergency unit and saw more than 20 patients with their
terrified mothers. With the pediatric team, we started to examine the
patients. Three needed intensive care but I had no beds available for them
and two were in need of cardiac monitoring.
One patient needed a ventilator. All the ventilators in the hospital were
occupied by my patients (we have only three ventilators), so I left him to
be ventilated manually by the oxygen bag system. The patient died an hour
after his arrival.
When will all these sad stories end? How much longer can we tolerate the
pain and suffering of our people? How much more stress and working under
pressure? When will it all stop?
They say tomorrow is another day, the problem is that I'm not seeing
tomorrow coming.

Published date: 7/7/2003

Author: Allaa Yousef

-----------------------------------

http://www.baghdadbulletin.com/contentPage.php?pid=1&PHPSESSID=3288138427e88
c2fea10e827a71eef12

Our mission
The Baghdad Bulletin is committed to covering the issues surrounding the
redevelopment of Iraq after Saddam Husseinˇ¦s rule. It is a non-partisan
publication whose only tenet is that the presence of a free press offering a
forum for all sides is an inalienable human right.

The rebuilding of Iraq will be one of the most expensive and concentrated
investments the international community has made since the aftermath of the
second-world war. In the coming climate of rapid capital injections,
multinational contract winning, private investment and institution building,
this newspaper aims to question and debate the efficiency, value and
socio-economic implications of these events.

*Weekly dedicated coverage of the reconstruction of Iraq's public and
private infrastructure

*Questioning and debating the process and progress of Iraq's redevelopment

*An open forum where professionals working in Iraq or related to the issues
of reconstruction can contribute their views

*Reporting with integrity: Non-aligned, apolitical and non-religious

Launch date:

June 9th 2003.

Format and circulation:

Baghdad Bulletin is set to begin as a bimonthly News Magazine printed in
Baghdad and distributed throughout Iraq, specifically reporting on and
providing a forum for guest writers to debate issues related to the
redevelopment of the country. The Bulletin will become a regular and
potentially daily paper devoted to covering everyday life as the country
returns to normal. Planned Arabic supplements and an Arabic edition will be
added as soon as the staff is large enough to make that possible.

Please note this page is still under development, please revisit soon to see
what's been added.