Re: [casi] Re: Comments to Tom.

Tom  et al.
I tend to have the same style as you when writing to "elected officials,"
(albeit not so well written)
I have tried a range of writing styles including respectful.  My experience
has been that I receive patronizing responses no matter what or how I write.  I
must say that I used to think that the only way letters worked, was if a
large enough number would write at the same time.  I, sadly, now believe that they
don't pay attention at all, see Oil War 2.
If you ask me on Tuesday what I think, "I think that your aggressive letter
might just force them, out of fear of consequences, to respond by doing the
right thing," but on Thursday "they don't care because a check is not attached."
Whatever the reality is, be true to yourself and we must always remember that
we are not absolved of action even if the action is unlikely to garner the
results we wish.  We have a responsibility to the people to do whatever we can,
even if it is ineffectual, but then of course we have a responsibility to find
what works.  Hats off to Tom and Bert for showing that those who truly care
can disagree on point, but agree on so much else.  Go Tom!

Roger Stroope
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff USA