[casi] C3 = Coalition Claims Claptrap

C3 = Coalition Claims Claptrap

"From that, one could have expected a clean war with very few casualties,
but I don't call 5,000 to 7,000 very few. It is clear the coalition claims
were political claptrap."
-----------

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=33588
9

Iraq civilian body count passes 6,000

Last Updated: 09 Jul 2003 12:09 BST

LONDON (Reuters) - New information from remote locations of Iraq has pushed
up the civilian death toll from the U.S.-led war by 500 in the last month to
at least 6,000, an Anglo-American research group says.

The Iraq Body Count's (IBC) latest figures, based on media reports and more
than a dozen counting projects from independent investigators in and outside
Iraq, put the minimum number of civilians dead at 6,055 and the maximum at
7,706.

"Both the U.S. & the U.K. said they were taking every effort to minimise
civilian casualties and talked a lot about smart, precision weapons," IBC
researcher John Sloboda told Reuters.

"From that, one could have expected a clean war with very few casualties,
but I don't call 5,000 to 7,000 very few. It is clear the coalition claims
were political claptrap."

The latest IBC toll has risen by about 500 after information arrived from
areas that had not been reached before by outsiders. The group says its
statistics are the most comprehensive collation of civilian deaths
available.

"If you look at a map of Iraq, there are still a lot of places, that you
would imagine allied troops have gone through, where there have been no
reports of killings yet, simply because no journalist or researcher has gone
there," said Sloboda, a psychology professor from Britain's Keele
University.

The IBC, run by British and American academics and peace activists, has
chastised London and Washington for not setting up an official investigation
into civilian deaths.

"Then there are the deaths by malnutrition and dehydration as a consequence
of the war which we haven't even started talking about," Sloboda added.

The United States and Britain have repeatedly stressed their tactics were
designed to keep civilian casualties to a minimum.

But they are declining to give estimates.

"We made every effort to reduce civilian casualties by a careful targeting
policy," a spokesman for Britain's Ministry of Defence said.