[casi] Foreign Ministry Reacts Strongly To U.S. Detention Of Turkish Soldiers

>From Turkish sources:

1) Foreign Ministry Reacts Strongly To U.S. Detention Of Turkish Soldiers

2) [Turkish]  Foreign Ministry Reacts Strongly to US Detention of Turkish
Officers (with official Turk FM statement)

-----------

http://www.turkishpress.com/turkishpress/news.asp?ID=11555

Foreign Ministry Reacts Strongly To U.S. Detention Of Turkish Soldiers

Anadolu Agency: 7/5/2003

ERDOGAN: IT IS AN EXTREMELY DISTRESSING INCIDENT

ANKARA - Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday about
detention of Turkish soldiers by U.S. soldiers in northern Iraq, ''it is an
extremely distressing incident. Such a development should not have occurred.
This attitude of an ally country against its ally cannot be explained with
any political style.''

Responding questions of journalists, Prime Minister Erdogan said,
''unfortunately, such a development occurred yesterday. The Ministry of
Foreign Affairs has been monitoring the developments in coordination with
the General Staff Chief General Hilmi Ozkok. Foreign Minister and Deputy
Prime Minister Abdullah Gul called U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell on
the phone. We requested the United States to release our soldiers as soon as
possible. They told us that our soldiers were safe. We will inform you on
new developments. ''

GUL: IT IS AN INAPPROPRIATE INCIDENT

Gul said, ''detention of eleven Turkish soldiers by U.S. soldiers in
northern Iraq is totally an inappropriate incident.''

Responding questions of journalists, Gul said, ''we have been monitoring all
developments. I held a telephone conversation with U.S. Secretary of State
Colin Powell overnight. I told him that it was unacceptable. It is an
inappropriate incident. Such incidents between the two allied armies cannot
be accepted. Our initiatives have been continuing both in Ankara and
Washington D.C. A high-level delegation left southeastern province of Silopi
for northern Iraq. I hope that the problem would be resolved as soon as
possible.''

When asked whether or not the incident was regarded with closing of the
border gate in Silopi, Gul told reporters, ''the border gate is not closed.
There are some restrictions in the border gate.''

ERDOGAN: ''A DELEGATION HAS LEFT FOR SULEYMANIYAH''

Erdogan said, ''a delegation has left for Suleymaniyah, northern Iraq,
regarding detention of eleven Turkish soldiers by U.S. soldiers in northern
Iraq. I hope that we would resolve the incident till this evening.''

Responding questions of journalists, Prime Minister Erdogan said, ''there is
not any serious development for the time being. I have been holding
continuous contacts with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the General
Staff.''

Noting that a delegation was sent to Suleymaniyah, Prime Minister Erdogan
said that delegation would hold necessary meetings in northern Iraq.

When asked whether Turkish soldiers were kept by U.S. officials or
peshmergas, Prime Minister Erdogan said that they had not received a clear
information.

When asked whether or not Habur Border Gate was closed, Prime Minister
Erdogan told reporters that the border gate was open, but transportation of
gasoline was halted.

When asked whether or not additional measures would be taken, Erdogan said
that they would inform journalists on new developments.

''I hope that we would resolve the incident till this evening,'' he added.

U.S. EMBASSY IN ANKARA UNDERSECRETARY DEUTCH AT FOREIGN MINISTRY

Meetings between Ankara and Washington D.C. have been continuing since
detention of eleven Turkish soldiers in Suleymaniyah city of Iraq by U.S.
soldiers.

Under this, U.S. Embassy in Ankara Undersecretary Robert Deutch came to the
Ministry of Foreign Affairs to meet ministry officials.

Deutch was summoned to the ministry yesterday and Ankara's uneasiness was
conveyed to him.

Meanwhile, sources said that U.S. Ambassador to Turkey Robert Pearson was
currently not in Ankara.

DEUTCH: ''WE HAVE BEEN IN CONTACT FOR SOLUTION OF THE ISSUE AS SOON AS
POSSIBLE''

Replying questions of reporters following the meeting which lasted twenty
minutes, Deutch said that they had been in contact for solution of the issue
as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, Deutch did not answer questions of reporters who asked him when
Turkish soldiers would be released.

Sources said that at the meeting, the Turkish side had expressed its
sensitivities and requested release of Turkish soldiers.

Deutch said that the issue had been investigated and they were waiting for
information from Washington.

AK PARTY DEPUTY LEADER FIRAT: ''WE WANT TO MENTION THAT WE DON'T THINK
STAGING OF SUCH AN OPERATION BY THE UNITED STATES RIGHT AND WE WISH THAT
SUCH INCIDENTS WOULDN'T OCCUR AGAIN IN THE FUTURE''

Justice and Development Party (AK Party) deputy leader Dengir Mir Mehmet
Firat said on Saturday regarding detention of Turkish soldiers in northern
Iraq by U.S. soldiers, ''we want to mention that we don't think staging of
such an operation by the United States right, and we wish that such
incidents wouldn't occur again in the future''.

Following the AK Party Central Decision-Making Board meeting at the AK Party
Headquarters in Ankara, Firat made statements to reporters.

When recalled of detention of Turkish soldiers in northern Iraq by U.S.
soldiers and asked of latest developments, Firat said, ''it has been
affirmed that it was wrong, and it was not appropriate to bring bilateral
relations to such a point by an allied country. However, since the beginning
of the incident, all necessary information and contacts have been set up,
and our Armed Forces personnel are expected to be released as of this
morning. Besides, we want to mention that we don't think staging of such an
operation by the United States right and we wish that such incidents
wouldn't occur again in the future. Our Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been
closely following the incident. And necessary information was given to the
Prime Minister.''

Replying a question, Firat said that Turkish soldiers had not been released
as of 8 a.m. the same day but they could have been released at the moment.

Replying another question about cause of the incident, Firat said, ''there
is an information that it was a result of a tip-off about preparations for
assassination of the Kirkuk Mayor.''

Firat said that there was not any connection between the incident and
Kurdish groups led by Jalal Talabani and Massoud Barzani in northern Iraq,
and it was an incident that had been staged completely by U.S. soldiers.

When recalled of Talabani's statement saying, ''we keep Turkish soldiers'',
Firat said, ''no, such a thing is absolutely out of question. Here, our
interlocutor is the United States.''

Replying another question, Firat said that talks with the United States at
every level had been continuing.

---------------

http://www.zaman.com/default.php?kn=3071

July 05, 2003 Saturday

Foreign Ministry Reacts Strongly to US Detention of Turkish Officers

 TURKEY, July 05, 2003 - In a statement issued just moments ago, the Foreign
Ministry expressed deep concern and sorrow at the detention of 11 members of
Turkish Armed Forces by US troops in Suleymaniye, Iraq yesterday. The
Turkish officers are believed to have been taken to Kerkuk (Kirkuk).

The ministry said that upon receiving the news yesterday afternoon, top
level talks were held with Washington. The North Atlantic Treaty
Organization (NATO) Commander in Chief and U.S. European Forces Commander
General James L. Jones and US Secretary of State Colin Powell were
contacted. At home, the foreign ministry and general staff are continuing
efforts to resolve the situation.

The Undersecretary of the US Ambassador in Ankara Robert Deutch was summoned
to the ministry.

The statement reads as follows:

"In our contacts with Washington we emphasized many times the immediate
release of the Turkish soldiers, that the necessary measures be taken and we
requested that the responsible US officials inform us of developments.

Any developments, regarding the incident, that would have a possible impact
on the US-Turkish relations will be followed very closely."

It has been claimed that the officers were suspected of plotting to
assassinate the governor of Kirkuk."