Re: [casi] US holding Turkish troops?

http://www.islamonline.org/English/News/2003-07/05/article05.shtml
Turkey Protests Arrest Of Its Troops In N. Iraq

"This is a repugnant incident that should never have happened," Erdogan said

By Sa'ad Abdul Maguid, IOL Turkey Correspondent

ANKARA, July 5 (IslamOnline.net) - The Turkish foreign ministry lodged a
protest with the U.S. administration late Friday, July 4, over American
forces storming of the headquarters of Turkish special troops in the
northern Iraqi city of As-Sulaymaniyah and the rounding up of 11 Turkish
servicemen.
About 100 U.S. soldiers stormed the local offices of the Turkish special
forces after cutting the telephone lines and transferred them to the
northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk on suspicions of plotting an attack on the
Kurdish governor of Kirkuk.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan was reportedly furious at the
U.S. raid on his troops.

MORE .......

Also-

U.S. forces detain Turkish special forces
in northern Iraq
ISTANBUL, Turkey, July 5, SPA -- U.S. forces raided a
Turkish
special forces office in northern Iraq and detained 11 soldiers on
reports that Turks were plotting to kill the governor of the oil-rich
city of Kirkuk, a newspaper report said Saturday.
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan confirmed that
soldiers had been detained.

Also

http://tinyurl.com/g393
U.S. said to hold Turkish forces in Iraq
ESRA AYGIN
Associated Press

ISTANBUL, Turkey - U.S. forces raided a Turkish special forces office in
northern Iraq and detained 11 soldiers, Turkish officials said Saturday. A
Turkish newspaper said the arrests aimed to stop a plot by Turks to kill the
Kurdish governor of the oil-rich city of Kirkuk.

The detentions further strained ties between the longtime allies, who fell
out over the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq. Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip
Erdogan demanded the soldiers' release.

A government official, speaking on customary condition of anonymity, said
some 100 U.S. soldiers detained three Turkish officers and eight
noncommissioned officers in the northern Iraqi city of Sulaymaniyah Friday
afternoon. They were taken to Kirkuk.

The U.S. forces were acting on intelligence reports that some Turks in
Kirkuk were planning to assassinate the Kurdish governor of Kirkuk, the
newspaper Hurriyet said.

"This is an ugly incident," Erdogan said. "It should not have happened."

"For an allied country to behave in such a way toward its ally cannot be
explained," he added.

After the arrests, Turkey closed the Habur border gate, the sole crossing
point for aid and goods between Turkey and Iraq.

Erdogan said Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul was in contact with Secretary of
State Colin Powell.

"We are assured (by U.S. officials) that the soldiers are safe. But we want
them to be released as soon as possible," Erdogan said.

Sgt. Patrick Compton, a military spokesman in Baghdad, said he had no
information on the incident. A U.S. Embassy official said Turkish officials
had raised the issue late Friday, but said the embassy had no "concrete"
information.

Turkey has long maintained a military presence in parts of northern Iraq in
a campaign to suppress Turkish Kurd rebel operating in the region. At the
onset of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, Turkey threatened to send in troops,
fearing Iraqi Kurds would establish an independent state in northern Iraq,
which could fuel the separatist movement among Turkey's Kurds.

It has sent military observers to Kirkuk.

Kurdish rebels fought a 15-year war against Turkish troops for autonomy in
Turkey's southeast, which has killed some 37,000 people. The rebels declared
a unilateral cease-fire in 1999 after the capture of their leader, Abdullah
Ocalan. The military rejected the cease-fire and sporadic fighting
continues.

The incident comes as Turkey and the United States have been trying to
repair relations strained over the Turkish parliament's refusal in March to
allow thousands of U.S. combat troops in the country for an Iraq war.

It was the second time that U.S. forces detained Turkish soldiers in
northern Iraq.

In April, the U.S. Army's 173rd Airborne Brigade caught a dozen Turkish
soldiers, dressed in civilian clothes and trailing an aid convoy. U.S.
forces suspected that the Turkish team was sent in to inflame local ethnic
Turks, who already have tense relations with the city's Kurds and Arabs.

Erdogan said the latest seizures occurred Friday afternoon but did not give
details, except to say the detentions came after "an issue over the
municipality in Kirkuk."

"The fact that a 50-year-old ally has reverted to such an action has
saddened us deeply. That such an action was carried out against an ally is a
serious situation," Hurriyet quoted Gen. Yasar Buyukanit, the deputy chief
of staff as saying.

Turkish military officials would not comment.