Re: [casi] "...my last story from Baghdad"

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 14:04:13 -0300 (ADT) H Sutter <citext@chebucto.ns.ca>
writes:

>> With a little luck and a lot of work this affair will
>> eventually result in new and stronger safeguards, and a
>> new respect for and insistence upon international law
>> and human rights.
>
>Actually, I was trying to do some work by pointing
>out the Judge Merritt's incongruities - "uncovering
>the monster" lurking in the open.

We do need to increase awareness.

>As to the eventually resulting "safeguards":
>Multinational cartels aren't usually respecters
>of international law and human rights. These are
>the guys pushing for the New World Order. (Bush
>the Elder apparently borrowed that phrase from Hitler.)

I was thinking of the years after Vietnam and Nixon when people got angry
and news laws were passed, like limiting intelligence on American
citizens and the Freedom of Information Act. Bush has been trashing those
laws now, and I'm hoping they will come back even stronger in response to
the abuses.

>Judge Merritt:
>     "That is what the Iraqis admire about us and
>     wish to have for themselves. They are thankful
>     that we have liberated them from the tyrant so
>     that they may now have prosperity through freedom
>     of contract and free speech."
>
>Your take may differ. Perhaps you can think about
>it from a different perspective - pretend you are
>an Iraqi.

Well, even as an American I have mixed feelings. I, and many like me, do
admire American ideals - the things in the Declaration of Independence
(the reading of which might interest Iraqis), and the Constitution. I
think many Iraqis and other people in the world also admire those ideals
-- but Bush is trashing them now. The difference between what the US is
supposed to be doing and the actions they are actually taking are
immense. It might be useful for Iraqis to insist on the rights as
outlined in the US Constitution, although I don't know they would get
much further than US citizens who are trying to do that.

>Did you know?
>
>The US occupation has left Iraq's workforce jobless.
>That's some 10 million Iraqis - repeat 10 million
>Iraqis. They now all depend on UN handouts because
>USUK also cancelled OFF.
>
>> The articles you you post are old news -- sadly
>> only somewhat obsolete -- but neither are these
>> things unknown or unprotested in the US. That they
>> were even published at the time is a good sign.
>
>Not so old: 2001/2002 - I have older ones. And
>anything but obsolete, from what I hear. Besides,
>this is history.

Since Bush was elected -- yeah, it all does become sort of a blur since
then.

>A quote from Mark Twain, the wise:
>
>     "It is by the goodness of God that we have
>     in our country three unspeakably precious
>     things: freedom of speech, freedom of
>     conscience, and the prudence never to
>     practise either."
>     [Quoted in The Perpetual Pessimist]

I heard Bush on the radio today talking about Americans still trusting in
Providence of God. Actually, the founders often spoke of "Providence" in
place of "God", and tended to avoid religious doctrine. Bush seems to
think that his God is better than the Islam God -- making a distinction
between them. There is a fundamental lack of respect in the
administration for people, especially Iraqi people or other nationals.

Bremmer's rules about the Iraqi media not being allowed to criticize the
US occupation are absurdly unAmerican -- but then so are the efforts to
stifle dissent in the US itself, and in Europe.

I admit I do some trouble understanding why the Europeans and the Arabs,
in particular, and the rest of the world, kowtows to Bush, instead of
getting together and "just saying no". I can't excuse the American
people, although I can understand, with the barage of propaganda in the
US, but is there anyone overseas who doesn't see plainly what is
happening? Are *all* the so-called democracies able to ignore the people
so blatantly? Is all the world so blind to the massive abuse of civil
rights -- even to allowing the torture of prisoners -- in Iraq? Do they
really think it will stop there, and not eventually be inflicted on they
themselves?

Happy American Independence Day -- To all the people of the world...

I would hope that all Iraqis read the following -- they should know what
they are supposed to be entitle to:

(I wish that all *Americans* would also read it; in a recent survey only
some 3% knew their rights by the following documents!!!)

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

       THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE
               JULY 4, 1776
[...]

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights,
that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  That to
secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,
deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed,

That whenever any form of government becomes
destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people
to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new
government, laying its foundation on such principles and
organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem
most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

[...]

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

BILL OF RIGHTS (U.S. Constitution)

  ARTICLE ONE
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of
religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or
abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the
right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition
the government for a redress of grievances.

  ARTICLE TWO
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security
of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear
arms, shall not be infringed.

  ARTICLE THREE
No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any
house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of
war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

  ARTICLE FOUR
The right of the people to be secure in their persons,
houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches
and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall
issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or
affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be
searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

  ARTICLE FIVE
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or
otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or
indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the
land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual
service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any
person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in
jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any
criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be
deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due
process of law; nor shall private property be taken for
public use, without just compensation.

 ARTICLE SIX
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the
right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury
of the State and district wherein the crime shall have
been committed, which district shall have been previously
ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and
cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the
witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for
obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the
assistance of counsel for his defence.

  ARTICLE SEVEN
In suits at common law, where the value in controversy
shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury
shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be
otherwise re-examined in any court of the United States,
than according to the rules of the common law.

  ARTICLE EIGHT
Excessive bail shall not lie required, nor excessive fines
imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

  ARTICLE NINE
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights,
shall not be construed to deny or disparage others
retained by the people.

  ARTICLE TEN
The powers not delegated to the United States by the
Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are
reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.