Re: [casi] E-mailing Iraqis?

To Colin & List,

My apols, an e-mail article, I just forwarded to the list was  pre-war.
However, it may still answer some questions, so please don't delete it
without first reading it.

As I haven't, personally, recently been trying to communicate with Iraq, I
cannot be helpful in answering the question of e-mailing with Iraq. However,
I do have an Iraqi friend, in B'ham, who hadn't had e-mail contact with
Baghdad, for some months. With help of the International Red Cross, he did
manage to get some brief communications, fairly recently - I think via
telephone. He was unhappy that  it just was a few words, he thought because
of massive queueing for telephones, but at least he would have had confirmed
that his family were still alive & (?)well.

Uruklink may well be controlled by the occupying forces, if at all
functioning. Electricity, as we know, is a scarce commodity in Iraq. Then
there is the problem of breakdown in law & order. I think all of us must
have seen looters running off with computers - some would have been
vandalised. - That's all I can think of to say, for now.

Greetings,

Bert Gedin (B'ham, UK).