Re: [casi] Independent: Ministers knew war papers were forged, says diplomat

http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/062603B.shtml
Interview: 27-Year CIA Veteran,  Ray McGovern

Brief excerpt:

PITT: Is there anything else you would like to touch upon before we are
finished?

McGOVERN: My primary attention is on the forgery of the Niger documents that
supposedly proved Iraq was developing a nuclear program. It seems to me that
you can have endless arguments about the correct interpretation of this or
that piece of intelligence, or intelligence analysis, but a forgery is a
forgery. It's demonstrable that senior officials of this government,
including the Vice President, knew that it was a forgery in March of last
year. It was used anyway to deceive our Congressmen and Senators into voting
for an unprovoked war. That seems to me to be something that needs to be
borne in mind, that needs to be held up for everyone to see. If an informed
public, and by extension an informed Congress, is the necessary bedrock for
democracy, then we've got a split bedrock that is in bad need of repair.

  I have done a good bit of research here, and one of the conclusions I have
come to is that Vice President Cheney was not only interested in "helping
out" with the analysis, let us say, that CIA was producing on Iraq. He was
interested also in fashioning evidence that he could use as proof that, as
he said, "The Iraqis had reconstituted their nuclear program," which
demonstrably they had not.

  What I'm saying is that this needs to be investigated.

We know that it was Dick Cheney who sent the former US ambassador to Niger
to investigate. We know he was told in early March of last year that the
documents were forgeries. And yet these same documents were used in that
application. That is something that needs to be uncovered. We need to pursue
why the Vice President allowed that to happen. To have global reporters like
Walter Pincus quoting senior administration officials that Vice President
Cheney was not told by CIA about the findings of this former US ambassador
strains credulity well beyond the breaking point. Cheney commissioned this
trip, and when the fellow came back, he said, "Don't tell me, I don't want
to know what happened." That's just ridiculous.

  Cheney knew, and Cheney was way out in front of everybody, starting on the
26th of August, talking about Iraq seeking nuclear weapons. As recently as
the 16th of March, three days before the war, he was again at it. This time
he said Iraq has reconstituted its nuclear weapons program. It hadn't. It
demonstrably hadn't. There has been nothing like that uncovered in Iraq.

MORE