Re: [casi] Purifying water in Iraq

>the problem of getting enough sheer volume of water and
Although this is less problematic for those near rivers

>the problem of the miniralization of the water that also >cause loss of
stomach contents, etc.

But here there should also be a fairly simple answer for treatment on a
very local or individual level -- easier than boiling, which wouldn't
help for hard water anyway. I have very limited knowledge of chemistry
and purification techniques, but it seems to me that someone with
expertise could come up with a plan which wouldn't depend on fixing the
whole water system right away, and might even be usable with material
already available. Perhaps even solar power could be used with available
reflecting materials, or an electrolyses technique using car batteries
and alternators, or filtration methods.

In the section on laundry in my formuals book (published by Popular
Science -- not Popular Mechanics) it says that wash water should be
between 140 and 160 degrees F., for 20 minutes to kill bacteria. That
might well be achievable with solar power, considering how hot it already
is in Iraq.

A temporary answer might be found just by shifting thinking about it from
the the big corporate/government modes to simple, "small is beautiful"
modes, and information might be the critical thing to send. Even if
halazone tablets are used -- or swimming pool tablets -- they are small
and easy to ship, and don't require engineering teams and power
transmission lines. Perhaps checking out information from the
survivalists, special forces, or even camping and hunting emergency
sources would yield the solution. "Primitive" technology can be very
effective, and may well be something Iraqis can do for themselves even
before rebuilding.

Isn't this the sort of thing that scientists and technologists should be
able to do? If you don't have what you need to do it "right" find a way
to do it with what you have.