[casi] Hardtalk: AEI's Pletka vs J. Corbyn MP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/hardtalk/2988162.stm

Hardtalk

  Friday, 13 June, 2003, 13:58 GMT 14:58 UK

After the war

After the war - the continuing debate over its legitimacy

In a Hardtalk interview on 13 June, the BBC's David Jessel speaks to two
people representing both sides of the debate over the War in Iraq on whether
the conflict was justified.

Click here to watch the full interview:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/cta/progs/03/hardtalk/pletka_corbyn13jun.ram

Danielle Pletka from the American Enterprise Institute and Jeremy Corbyn MP
from the British Labour Party appeared on Hardtalk before the war started.

Ms Pletka supported the war and Mr Corbyn was against it.

The search for weapons of mass destruction (WMD) was central to the
justification for the war in Iraq. So far none have been found.

 I think we've been misled, deceived. My fear is they're going to get a
colonial occupation

Jeremy Corbyn MP, British Labour party

Danielle Pletka says she's till confident WMDs will be found, but it will
take time.

"We never thought we were going to find Saddam with his arm around a smoking
gun, a ticking time-bomb. That's just not how these things work."

"I think things are not going as well as one hopes. Are we going to find the
weapons of mass destruction? I think we are."

[Danielle Pletka, American Enterprise Institute]

Jeremy Corbyn, who is known as one of the British government's most vocal
critics against the conflict, questioned why Saddam Hussein didn't use WMDs
if he had them.

"I think we've been misled, deceived. My fear is they're going to get a
colonial occupation, he says."

HARDtalk can be seen on BBC World at 03:30 GMT, 08:30 GMT, 15:30 GMT, 18:30
GMT and 23:30 GMT.

It can also be seen on BBC News 24 at 03:30 GMT and 22:30 GMT