[casi] Re: Fw: Iraq photos - beware

>The men appear to me to be uncircumcised, however I have >no experience
in determining this and am about 60% "sure" >about this.  I do think that
the uniforms are probably >the surest way of determining however.  All
the
>soldiers that I have seen in Oil War 2 were wearing the >sand colored
uniforms.

If you wanted to "fix" those details even my 10-year-old Photoshop Light
program could easily do it -- either to "authenticate" or to "discredit".
With the software available the only way to authenticate the photos is
with a chain of evidence and documentation trail, or separate
corroborative evidence. Very photorealistic images can be wholly created
by computer now. Origins of photos as described (I get text only, so
can't see them) might be staged or created, perhaps originally just to
satisfy someone's fantasies.

The most important question is, if the depictions reflect reality, is it
isolated criminality or a symptom of systemic problems? According to
reports rapes are not uncommon -- whether by occupying forces or natives
is almost immaterial: the security system is in shambles and
accountability for all manner of crimes is lacking.

We should not need emotionally disturbing images to persist in demands
that the situation be remedied in short order (already much overdue).
Moreover, it isn't clear that people being raped is worse than the death
of so many innocents from disease, shootings, or stray munitions. This is
*all* unacceptable.