Re: [casi] here is to kinder interpretations of those who fight for human rights.

>Dirk. Dirk is a friend of what CASI once stood for
>and one usually accepts criticism from a friend.

>statements'", I came to the same result as Roger
>did. And I feel that Dirk was right what he said
>about this Press release. Take this: "CASI...
>took no position for or against the invasion of Iraq."
>I interpret this to mean that CASI condoned the
>invasion and didn't wish to say so. It's impossible
>to be 'neutral' on a controversial issue like this.

I have been with this list for only a short time, and so must speak as an
"outsider", not really knowing who is who -- but perhaps this is a bit of
advantage in this case.

As an "outsider" what I have seen is a diversity of opinions as to what
is best for Iraq, and yet little which does not advocate at least a good
result. Honest disagreement is certainly possible. While it may
impossible for any one person to be neutral, as an organization it would
not be surprising that consensus of position could not be reached, and
thus no one clear statement representing the views of all of the members.
Even if a majority by vote could have been established that would hardly
do justice to the minority views. In that case a neutral official
position may well be the best which is possible and fair to all. This is
the explanation I choose as an initial assumption.