[casi] The Lifting of Sanctions...

I must admit that I continue to be puzzled.  The sanctions, seemingly in
defiance of the original mandate, have been lifted but control of the economics of
the situation have effectively been turned over to the country which
illegally attacked and now occupies.  Does this make sense to anyone?  Could anyone
explain to me what the security council was thinking.  There must be a rational
explanation somewhere.

Some of us have applauded the lifting of sanctions, to my way of thinking the
net result here will simply be the extraction of wealth from Iraq whilst the
people of Iraq are marginalized in their own land thereby damaging the
collective self esteem and further adding insult to injury/murder.  (but thank Allah
we will have more McDonalds)  Of course long term I would suggest that Japan,
Europe et al look to their petrol tanks in the decades to come as the US turns
the pumps off whenever bush's fellow future bastards deem it "legal" to wreck
the economy of another country.

I am curious to know what those who have the background see as the immediate,
medium, and long term result.  Do we believe that the USuk will simply rape
and plunder, do we think this is simply another puppet gov that will favor US
transglobal corporations?  Do we think that the Iraqi people will somehow
benefit from this? (not me)  I would love to hear the big craniums of the list
respond (this includes all of you) to these questions.

Anxiously awaiting Colin's viewpoint on this.

Roger Stroope
Austin College
Sherman Texas, USA
www.austincollege.edu