Re: [casi] FOX NEWS, June 2 :Weapons of Mass Destruction

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 19:44:37 -0400 "ppg" <ppg@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,88337,00.html

I am always suspicious of FOX news and the people they interview.

[Bush:]
>when Colin Powell (search) stood up in front of the >world, and said
Iraq has got laboratories, mobile labs to >build biological weapons.
They're illegal.
>They're against the United Nations resolutions, and we've >so far
discovered two.

Apparantly not -- they are only asserted to be such, and much in doubt by
experts.

The vehicles shown in the photos in Powell's presentation were said by
Blix to be ordinary maintenance vehicles.

>And we'll find more weapons as time goes on. But for >those who say we
haven't found the banned manufacturing >devices or banned weapons,
they're wrong. We found them.

Nope -- he is lying.

>Greg Copley, president of the International Strategic >Studies
Association,

I don't know who this is. Perhaps I'll be able to get to library and
research, but there's no information in my files abuot the man or
organization.

>there's still a lot of Iraq to search. However, in >August-September
last year, they moved huge amounts of >fissile material, chemical, and
biological material to a >Comishly, a town in Syria, just across the
border, from

The US was conducting military operations in Iraq at that time, if I
remember right, leading to the question of why they weren't interfered
with. How was this known? Was UNMOVIC and the UN informed? Was nothing
said the Syrians?

>Iraq, to the Hishishi compound there. So, they -- they >consistently
moved weapons, laboratories, documents, and >so on there for safekeeping
during the war.

But there was no war then. What would be the Saddam's motivation to give
awy such weapons -- especially if he suspected war was coming and he
would need them?

>ago. The laboratories for the actual weapons and warheads >themselves
was being done in Iraq and moved out, let's >say, in August-September,
last year.

Or let's say 10 years ago as numerous Iraqi scientists and military have
now said.

Or we can say, yes -- all the weapons were moved out of Iraq before
UNMOVIC hit the ground -- so why then was it asserted so definitely that
WMD were in Iraq, were ready to fired within 45 minutes, were liable to
be given to terrorists, was a justification for war? If they weren't in
Iraq, then Saddam didn't control them, and Saddam was no longer a threat.
They can't have it BOTH ways!

>Right now, we know that a lot of it is still sitting >there, in -- in
Comishly. The Scuds and so on, which were >separately moved across the
border just before the war >started. They're still sitting there; and a
lot of

Of course -- just the thing: Iraq is about to be attacked so naturally
they would get rid of all their weaponry. It is only surprising that
Saddam didn't also disband the army and send all the soldiers into Syria
also...

>SNOW: Now, you knew about this before the war began?
>
>COPLEY: Correct.

But Iraq was attacked anyway...

But this is a different story that Woolsey gave, and certainly much
different than the Administartion stated with certainty.

>SNOW: Then, why didn't the American public hear about it?
>
>COPLEY: I'm not sure why the American public didn't hear >about it.  We
told the U.S. intelligence services, and >they -- they're aware of it. I
believe that it's because >both the British Prime Minister and the White
House
>wanted to have a very, very clean, simple argument to >take to the
American population, and to the U.N. to say
>let us go into Iraq.

What???!! You mean they L-- L-- .. LIED?? To the American public and the
UN??

Hmmm... "WE" told the intelligence? Who is "we" that they know all these
things which intelligence was clueless about? Who is this "International
Strategic Studies Association" who has such capabilities beyond US
intelligence?

>another matter, all together. We know that al Qaeda was >given chemical
weapons by the Saddam administration in >the past couple of years. So,
there's a chance that they
Oh yes? Again, who is "we", who apparantly has sound intelligence -- so
as to "know" -- which is apparantly not available to top government
officials such as Senate intelligence committees? Did Graham or Lang ever
hear of this?

It's amazing how all these "experts" contradict each other, and how FOX
goes right along with it all. I wonder -- if the US *knows* for certain
that all the WMDs are in Syria, then why are they sending yet another
team (1,300 people, no less) to look for them in Iraq? Perhaps the light
is better there??

I think there is a clear failure of the news media (especially American)
to let all these threads hang so loosely, neither doing adaquate
fact-checking nor even questioning inconsistencies -- quite aside from
what looks like deliberate bias and manipulation by agents like FOX. "The
media is the message"!