[casi] Re: here is to kinder interpretations .. SH evil?

>If I compare what is written about the same SH and the >same government,
I conclude that they must be talking >about 2 different countries. In
1981, Iraq and it's >government were praised for the alphabetisation of
its
>population (UNESCO also acknowledged this), the efforts >in the field of
public health, investments of oil >revenues in its own economy and
infrastructure, woman >rights etc..

We humans love to put things, and people, into neat little boxes of
classification -- but of course, that means inaccuracy. In considering
Saddam, although I have often ebough heard that is "evil", I think it's
best to consider this in relative terms. "Evil", is always relative. We
now think slavery is evil, but that was always so. Standards of maorality
change.

I find it helpful for me to think of Saddam as, while perhaps evil by
current standards, to be more accurately thought of as "medieval".
Compare him the medieval kings of Europe, or the old Shahs of Persia, or
Vlad the Impaler. In centuries past it was assumed that the king would be
the king and, at that time by the idea of "divine right", entitled to
virtually anything to keep in power. Treason defined as disloyalty not to
the nation, but to the king -- the king WAS the nation.

Even the best of those kings had their torture chambers and would
regularly behead political opponents, or large masses of rebels, without
thinking twice about it. The great religious founders regularly tortured
people. Luther roasted a "blasphemer" over a slow fire, who finally died
after half an hour.

At the same time, many of those rulers worked hard to improve the country
and the lot of the people, and were quite as generous to his supporters
as ruthless to his enemies. The first rule was to survive, at any cost,
to any other person. I have heard that during the time of one of the
greatest Persian rulers -- was it Suliman -- it was common practice when
a son inherited the throne for him to kill all his brothers to eliminate
rivals.

I think Saddam would fit in quite comfortably with those times and kings
-- and be thought of as one of the better of them in terms of being good
to the people -- although  by modern standards of course he is evil and
monsterous.

But then we have those like Bush, who are also throwbacks to an earlier
age -- perhaps the period of colonialism or the guilded age -- and who
could have managed fairly well in the medieval period themselves. If we
look into the philosophies the US hawks follow, like the cults of Leo
Strauss, we find clear reference to recapturing older ideas like "might
makes right".

In the 21st century many of us find both ages shocking and primitive, and
the more primitive throwbacks as well. I think, however, that we can
better understand events by seeing them in light of those past cultures:
Saddam, I suspect, is neither a "madman" nor "evil", but brutally
primitive: think of him as a medieval king in the same circumstances and
his actions become almost transparant.