Re: [casi] here is to kinder interpretations of those who fight for human rights.

"All happy families are alike; every unhappy
family is unhappy in its own way."
---

Dear List Members and CASI Founders,

Roger, I am glad you spoke up for Dirk and what
he stands for - which to me is the defence of
downtrodden humanity and peace for all. That's
what you stand for too, and that's what I stand
for. So you have spoken for me as well, thank you.

To tell you this privately, what I meant to do,
would have been cowardice. There may be such thing
as a Sunday driver, but a commitment to human
rights cannot be a pastime. You feel that way all
the time, even when the majority is against you -
or especially when the majority is against you.

At the same time, I could sense Gabriel's hurt as
well. I know what Voices stood for so this must
have been what Gabriel stood for. And these were
not just words, but actions - courageous actions.
Voices and Gabriel have my deepest admiration and
respect.

Still, I could not understand his condemnation of
Dirk. Dirk is a friend of what CASI once stood for
and one usually accepts criticism from a friend.
To me, Dirk's words were criticism, not "baseless
allegations". And what Dirk said came from the
heart. Please, Gabriel, try to forgive - despite
your hurt. He too feels hurt - we all do. But we
are only outsiders: think of the people in Iraq.

As to your point that "CASI made no 'pro-war
statements'", I came to the same result as Roger
did. And I feel that Dirk was right what he said
about this Press release. Take this: "CASI...
took no position for or against the invasion of Iraq."
I interpret this to mean that CASI condoned the
invasion and didn't wish to say so. It's impossible
to be 'neutral' on a controversial issue like this.

CASI is free of course to take any position, and
it deserves great admiration for what it has done.
But I myself second Roger's version of that PR and I
think this needed to be said:

     "If I had had a say in the press release, it
     would have read: 'we wholeheartedly condemn
     the aggression of the USUK emperium in their
     illegal, brutal, violent, sadistic, cowardly
     attack against the "PEOPLE" of Iraq."

With best wishes to all, especially to Gabriel,

Elga Sutter