Re: [casi] AOL Headline- Does Iraq have banned weapons?

Thanks for the enclosed URLs..

Here is Powell's response today:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/06/08/sprj.irq.main/index.html
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell said Sunday it was
"nonsense" to label U.S. intelligence on Iraqi weapons of mass destruction
as bogus.

He said the news media -- not the American people -- were raising concerns
about reports the country may have gone to war in Iraq based on inaccurate
information.

"The American people are quite assured" about the veracity of the
intelligence reports, Powell told reporters at an impromptu news conference
outside Fox News studios. "It's the media that invents words such as bogus."

He said there was "no doubt whatsoever" that Iraq had weapons of mass
destruction prior to the U.S.-led invasion.

A 1,300-person team was going to Iraq to continue the hunt for evidence of
such weapons, Powell said.

Powell told CNN's "Late Edition" he spent four days at the CIA before his
U.N. presentation about Iraqi weapons on February 5 "making sure whatever I
said was supported by the intelligence."

"I think the case is clear," Powell said. "The case has been substantiated
over the years. Every nation that voted for U.N. Resolution 1441 voted for a
resolution that said Iraq was in material breach of its obligations, and so
there was nothing bogus about the intelligence."

Powell noted that he showed the security council a drawing of vans purported
to be biological weapons labs "and voila, the vans showed up a few months
later."

"Now, people are debating whether or not these vans truly are biological
vans," he said. "Sure they are. What other purpose are there?"

Powell said there was also a "killer argument" explaining why the vans "are
exactly what I said they were."

"I can assure you that if those biological vans were not biological vans,
when I said they were, on the 5th of February, on the 6th of February, Iraq
would have hauled those vans out, put them in front of the press conference,
gave them to the UNMOVIC inspectors to try to drive a stake in the heart of
my presentation," he said. "They did not."

In an interview on "Fox News Sunday," Powell also denied that Vice President
Dick Cheney's frequent trips to the CIA before the war pressured the agency
to skew its intelligence analysis.

It is Cheney's style to gather as much information available on a subject
"because he wants to get to the bottom of it," Powell said.

"He did the same thing to me in the first Gulf War," he said. "It's his
style to have all the information available to him so he knows what he's
talking about."

Meanwhile, a spokesman for British Prime Minister Tony Blair wrote a letter
to British intelligence services reassuring them the government would take
"far greater care" using their material, following a controversy over a
dossier on Iraq's weapons.  ...