Re: [casi] raising the case of Huda Amashdr

Hi Dirk and all
I could not say that Ghazwan, Nasra and me or any other real Iraqis are fine, every thing is going
from bad to worse. Again I do not think that petitions can work.. I am not worring about Tariq Aziz
but I do worry about Dr. Huda Ammash who was my friend. I knew her very well and she had nothing
with anthrax or any other biological weapons.. Every body, here..the place was once Iraq, knows
that she was forced to be a member in Baa'th party leadership in Iraq because she was very brave
and critisize the exgovernment of Iraq.. in addition she suffers sever case of canser, she had
operation where both breasts were removed. I was and still against Baa'thists and what they did
against Iraq yet among them are some noble men and women like Huda. Every body in Iraq is paying
for what S.H did, still I do not think that he was so valuble that whole Iraq be a price to get red
of him.
Pray for Iraqis, for the families of the bodies found in mass graves and for Huda. Do you think
that S.H was so strong without a support from foreign?!
best regards
Nermin Al-Mufti, occupied Baghdad

this a story from Basra I wrote, you can discover the real(liberaion)
   5 -11 June 2003
Issue No. 641
Region Current issue
Previous issue
Site map
Published in Cairo by AL-AHRAM established in 1875
 - NAVIGATION - Front page Egypt Region Focus International Economy Opinion Press review Letters
Culture Living Features Sports Chronicles Profile People Cartoons Crossword Listings/Timeout BOOKS
SITE MAP ARCHIVES Text menu
 Comment Recommend  Printer-friendly

Basra's tears
Once dubbed the Smile of the Gulf, Basra is struggling to regain its erstwhile identity. Nermeen
Al-Mufti reports from southern Iraq

The highway of death, which witnessed the demise of tens of thousands of Iraqis in 1991 when Iraqi
forces withdrew without air cover, was the road which took me to Basra. This thoroughfare is still
scarred from the most recent war, yet this was not the path taken by British Prime Minister Tony
Blair, who flew to the city to visit his "victorious" troops.

Basra was once known as the "Smile of the Gulf" but today looks just like any other Iraqi city:
weary of war and sanctions, not to mention the devastation caused by the bombardments of the last
war. The signs of "liberation" are everywhere to be seen with burnt and looted buildings and public
offices lining every street.

My first port of call in Basra was the Presidential Palace, which has since been turned into a
British forces base. This compound comprises several palaces, all with various names, as well as
dozens of small villas. A British soldier told me the largest of the palaces had been dubbed
"Saddam's love nest", and which now enjoys the protection of dozens of British tanks.

Outside the compound, on the banks of the Shat Al-Arab river, Mushtaq Ali told me that Saddam did
not visit this palace even once, and that it had been the residence of Saddam's cousin, Ali Hassan
Al- Majeed, the infamous "chemical Ali", where he stayed several days at the beginning of the war.
"These palaces are like all the others he [Saddam] built throughout Iraq but didn't see. The
compound was built on a public park, and the special security forces prevented public access to the
vicinity; we weren't even allowed to sail our boats along the walls. Tony Blair has Saddam Hussein
to thank for providing such a magnificent base for his troops," he said.

At one time there were many statues lining the river. Many years ago Saddam Hussein commissioned
images of more than 60 high-ranking officials who were martyred while defending Basra during the
eight years of the Iran-Iraq war, but the only statues remaining now are those of Badr Shaker
Al-Sayyab, the great Iraqi poet, and Adnan Khairullah, former Iraqi minister of defence and
Saddam's brother-in-law. All the other figures were destroyed in the aftermath of the "liberation".

"We will keep the statue of Khairullah," commented Sabah Noor, a young fisherman, adding that
Khairullah was a good man and always spoke out against Iraqi involvement in wars. "The main reason
for keeping him is that Saddam Hussein killed him." added Noor.

Maan Najm, a former brigadier in the Iraqi navy, said he had been faced with two painful issues on
the very day of Tony Blair's arrival. First he had to take his mother to the ta'limi (educational)
hospital, but the guards prevented them from entering because the British prime minister was due to
pay a visit. After this, Najm joined more than 2,000 of his colleagues, also former officers, to go
and receive his last pay cheque. He and more than 300,000 officers were made redundant after the
Iraqi defence forces were dissolved by the Americans. Najm said he experienced humiliation at the
hands of the British troops, who divided the former officers into groups and wrote numbers on their
hands.

"The future remains uncertain," he told me, "but the one thing which brought some satisfaction was
the fact that the Americans ordered all ships passing through Shat Al-Arab to bear the Iraqi flag.
For years they had been flying the Iranian flag, so there is hope yet," he added.

"Our wish now is for security," said Malik Abbas, a university student. "Nobody thinks about us in
Basra or anywhere else. We want to survive, but nobody cares," he continued.

Sana Abid, a teacher, said that her husband, a former officer, was taking care of the children and
that she had to work to help the family. She said she hoped the new administration would bring an
increase in salary, as promised.

There is still no clean drinking water in Basra. The various organisations providing assistance for
the poor are now occupying public buildings and writing slogans everywhere, employing the same
words once used by Saddam.

"We don't care who is going to rule us. We simply want our rights back," commented Sana.

"But after nearly two months of 'occupation' or 'liberation' nothing positive has happened for us,"
she added.

Yet Basra is trying to be the city it once was before the wars. There is no longer a curfew and
families can spend evenings on the banks of the river; the restaurant and shops on Jazeer street
remain open until midnight.

In the early hours of the morning, fishermen cast their nets into the water; boats start their
journeys; the date farmers are getting ready for the harvest. Their eyes retain the hope that
tomorrow may be better, and that the highway of death may yet bear witness to the high way of life.

© Copyright Al-Ahram Weekly. All rights reserved

Comment  Recommend  Printer-friendly

 Egypt | Region | Focus | International | Economy | Special | Opinion | Press review | Letters |
Culture | Living | Features | Sports | Profile | People | Time Out | Chronicles | Cartoons |
Crossword
Batch View | Current issue | Previous issue | Site map