[casi] raising the case of Huda Amashdr

I don't want to sound naive, but isn't Huda Amashdr a
 political prisoner, could Amnesty International ( and
I know they are weird, but if one puts pressure on them
they could respond, especially the Irish branch)
adopt her as such? I also think there needs to a delegation
to the UN Subcommission for the Protection and
Promotion of Rights to raise this very important
issue and others, this August, and meet the 26 legal
experts on the SubCommission, Philippa

>===== Original Message From Dirk Adriaensens <dirk.adriaensens@skynet.be>
=====
>[ Presenting plain-text part of multi-format email ]
>
>Hello all,
>welcome to the "liberated and free" Iraq. And may only the "embedded" press
report us about what happens in Iraq and let the conquerors rewrite history.
>How come the US refuses to let delegations enter Iraq? How come they assault
visitors on their way to "the land of the free" (Iraq)?
>Is this the "freedom" the US/UK promised? Chaos, Ethnic violence, cholera,
DU, Cluster bombs, stealing the oil, looting the heritage, burning all public
buildings etc.etc.. That's the price the Iraqi population pays for not
submitting to the US and for defending their right to self-determination. And
I welcome the postings of Nermin and the letter of Ghazwan to AI. I wonder
what happened to other list-members, like Nasra Al-Sadoon, who is a good
friend of mine. Where is Huda Amash ("Mrs Anthrax"), a woman I respect very
much? Shouldn't we start asking questions to US/UK governments about  the sort
of our dear friends in Iraq?
>Greetings.
>Dirk Adriaensens
>www.irak.be
>

> An italian caravan organized by association Ya Basta has been physically
assaulted while trying to cross the Iraqi border.

>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
>ITALIAN CARAVAN ASSAULTED BY AMERICAN MILITARY IN IRAQ
>
>A caravan organized by association Ya Basta departed Friday the 30th of May
to take a one week trip through Iraq and Palestine to organize and aid
humanitarian projects in the two war torn areas.

>The caravan departed from Amman, Jordan to cross the Iraqi border to go to
Baghdad, the first stop schedualed by the caravan.

>However, upon reaching the Iraqi border, the caravan was stopped by the
American military checkpoint. They were told that they needed to apply for
entry visas to Iraq from the American command in Baghdad.

>After an entire day of waiting in the middle of the desert, the caravan
returned back to Amman.

>Sunday the 1st of June, the 40 Italian activists occupied the Italian
Embassy, refusing to leae untill the necessary procedures to obtain permission
to enter Iraq were undertaken.

>Sunday evening, official permission was granted by both the Italian Embassy
in Amman and Baghdad as wel as the American authorities in Baghdad.

>However, upon reaching the American checkpoint monday morning, the
participants were informed that although their permission to enter Iraq was
valid, there were "communication" problems that prevented the American check
point from allowing them to enter.

>After waiting for another entire day, the caravan refused to leave the border
zone which provoked a violent response from the American military.

>As of 6pm Iraqi time, 6 participants have been injured as the american
soldiers violently loaded them into cars.

>Live corrispondence including translation is availible from GlobalRadio.
>
>CONTACT INFORMATION:
>
>Jason
>GlobalRadio
>Studio: +39 049 8752129
>Cellular: +39 340 7270917
>Fax: +39 049 664582
>
>www.globalradio.it
>Email: info@globalradio.it
>Email: tragicoptimist@hotmail.com
>
> update for the day 6/2/2003
>

>After having occupied and negotiated with officials at the Italian Embassy in
Jordan, the delegation had got an 'ok' from embassies in Jordan, including
from the American, to cross over to Iraq. They also obtained a written
statement about wanting to cross over into Iraq which was approved by the US
command.
>The delegation once again made its way to the border today. They got past the
first checkpoint but were stopped at the second one, where they were told to
were subsequently injured as American soldiers dragged the peaceful sitters
back onto their jeeps. The drivers did not want to get off the jeeps and were
persuaded to go back to Jordan. One activist speaking on the radio said that
they were the only ones refused entry into Iraq.
>Back in Jordan, the Jordanian authorities wanted to take away their cameras
in order to keep the films.
>Luca Casarini has been urging the Italian Foreign Ministry to get involved.
>The problems this delegation has met trying to enter into Iraq have been
published in the Italian press, in the Manifesto, on Sunday.

>There is a refugee camp in this stretch of no man's land, peopled by
Palestinians. The delegation wanted to remain in the no man's land in order to
go and greet the people from the camps, which are run by the UN. The American
soldiers did not allow it. The delegation said that the refugees were being
treated badly, but we have no more details about this at the moment.

>For a complete coverage (in Italian ), go to www.yabasta.it
>
>report from yabasta delegation to Iraq 6/2/2003
>

>i have just spoken with a member of the Ya Basta delegation, which is still
trapped in no-man's land between iraq and jordan. they arrived after having
gotten permission from Italian and even American officials to enter, but once
at the checkpoint, it was decided that they are subversive and a danger. they
have been beaten and assaulted, and they were at one point under threat of
being shot by US troops if they didn't leave (though no one can be sure how
serious the threat was). they have also had problems with the Jordanian
police, who wouldn't allow them contact with Iraqis in a nearby refugee camp.

>www.yabasta.it
>
> have spoken to an activist from the delegation and has given me a summary of
the day... 3/6/2003

>I have spoken with a member of the delegation, who reiterated in very
frustrated tones how they were left standing for nine hours yesterday before
being told that they couldn't get through the checkpoint although they had got
an 'ok' from embassies in Jordan and the US high command to go through. Guns
were pointed at them and they were told to leave. They refused to do so, and
sat down. The people who were slightly injured whilst being forcibly removed
from their sit down protest by American soldiers back into the jeeps are
alright.
>Today, the delegation found out that the reason this 'ok' was actually a 'no'
was that the US high command thought they were a delegation of anti
globalisation activists, which tells a lot about the new and democratic Iraq
the US have pledged to build and given as one of their reasons for invading
and bombing the country, as part of freeing it of its undemocratic regime!
>So the delegation has decided to thin down, leaving a subtantial core of
people, and is fighting to get a formal 'ok' from the Italian ambassador to
Jordan himself, De martino. He will only get this formal approval from the Us
Command in Bagdad, so in theory, if the delegation gets an approval, this time
they should be able to get through. They are now in Amman, waiting for a
reply. Meanwhile they are liaising with many organizations working with
Palestinians refugees in Jordan, and dealing with Palestinian issues, in order
to update them on the refugee camp they saw in the no man's land between Iraq
and Jordan, where many Palestinians who fled Iraq during the war but were
refused entry into Jordan have been staying for some time now. The camp is run
by the UN, but members of the delegation have said that the refugees are being
mistreated by the US soldiers. The delegation had tried to make contact with
them but were prevented by the soldiers.