[casi] Iraq War & Archaeology

To all those interested, I recommend Francis Deblauwe's excellent site called
'The 2003 Iraq War & Archaeology':

http://cctr.umkc.edu/user/fdeblauwe/iraq.html

It offers an amazing archive of articles etc etc on the topic.

The man is an expert without doubt. His comments on the articles are very
interesting, recalling Peter Brooke's introductions to his news postings. As
for our Sommerfeld, he makes mention of his 'possible bias'. Which, of course,
does not necessarily disqualify all that the German professor has to say.

Below is Deblauwe's current estimate of the losses and damage from his site.

Best,
Attila

My best guess of the
Losses & Damage
at the National Museum

(very approximate numbers based on all available info, my evaluation of the
quality of same info, and lots of extrapolation and common sense; updated
whenever new info changes the picture)

• 300 artifacts in public galleries: 28% missing, 18% damaged
• 468,340 artifacts in storage inside Museum: 8% missing, 12% damaged
• 7,360 artifacts in storage in Central Bank: 3% missing, 10% damaged
• 25,000 artifacts in storage elsewhere outside the Museum: 5% missing, 5%
damaged
501,000 artifacts in total, of which 8% (38,390) missing and 11% (57,292)
damaged

• records and files: 5% destroyed, 85% scattered and messed up
• the 39,453 manuscripts and scrolls found in a bomb shelter in western
Baghdad were most likely the Saddam House of Manuscripts collection and thus
not a part of the Museum holdings
• the frequently mentioned total figure of 170,000 reflects the inventory
numbers; however, lots of individual inventory numbers cover large groups of
artifacts