  From: Aswed@aol.com
  To: mali@gw.hackney.gov.uk ; asceptic@freenetname.co.uk ; ya1980@hotmail.com ;
soc-casi-discuss@lists.cam.ac.uk
  Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 10:02 PM
  Subject: Re: [casi] Mass Graves

  dear mali and other iraqi "patriots"
  i have a very dear iraqi friend, long an established american educator, who has a fortnight ago
left her american family, a husband and two young sons, to go to iraq and help in the
reconstruction. it was not what i wished she should do because my perception and experience tell me
that what will be set up under western occupation will surely be rejected and dismantled once that
occupation is ended. she saw the occupation as a nightmare and was against the war that you and
your friends welcomed, but felt the need perhaps to help alleviate in some measure the pain and
suffering , this ongoing misery of her people.  although i wished srtongly to implore her to change
her mind and not provide de facto aid and comfort to the occupiers, i fully understood that i, not
iraqi, could not and should not voice that plea to her.
  at the same time, perhaps in frustration over her generous decency i would lash out against other
iraqis who, more youthful and less constrained by family ties, would exercise the luxury of first
finishing their degrees in medicine in the west and in time, comfortable and convenient to
themselves, return, perhaps, to their suffering people. i disdain this convenience, this
selfishness, this cynicism, this conditional humanism of those folks. i implore them to hasten
their return and ease some pain even within this colonial nightmare.
  i am astounded at your misunderstanding of what some of us represent in our discussions. perhaps
you can cerebrate sufficiently to consider that some americans do not welcome the rapid evolution
of their country into a militaristic juggernaut that has adopted a policy of preemption to
arrogantly invoke a pax americana on the rest of the world, iraq is merely a step in that march.
some americans strongly believe that  'american interests' need not be overarching and mutually
exclusive of other peoples interests and aspirations. some americans are appalled that the words of
their extraordinary declaration of idependence and their constitution have been made hollow indeed
by this arrogance of power and its predation. this newfound american will to subjugate and
dominate, the rejected colonialism of the 20th century, is finding a disturbingly new home in the
american psyche.
  no my friend , it is not iraqi interests that drive american policies...do not flatter yourself
as a people with "soft woolens" (arabic saying that you well understand) that those in power in the
united states wish to rescue. i also reject the cynical argument that you wish to make , and have
made, that you do not care about the american aims as long as they provided the means to remove the
heinous saddam . i wish to point out a mirroring cynical argument presented quite seriously to me
by a history professor at an elite university in new york to the effect that he favored the war
because bush will make such a mess of iraq in the aftermath that he will lose credibility at home
and will therefore not be reelected. in either case it is clearly "damn the iraqi people" as long
as george and saddam are gone . what dearth of morality and humanism. what you fail to understand
is that the ends do not justify the ongoing extraordinary suffering. no i do not wish the americans
to help you in your moral misadventure for, indeed, i do not speak in your name, nor do i wish to.
it is, as it should be, your fight your struggle. yet you insist and welcome that the americans and
brits wage war IN YOUR NAME.
  perhaps you and your friends welcome colonialism. i do not wish to exercise it. may you grow to
understand it. i do, for i have lived through its dehumanising dictates.
  cordially, tony