RE: [casi] Fwd: [iac-disc.] Twenty Iraqi POW's claim abuse bycoalition troops - Sunday ...

Thanks to Roger and women such as Felicity and Pilippa who are become/have
been  and remain the conscience of CASI (in  my humble and falible and
non-elite opinion).
tom

P.s. I fully recognice to the incedible work of a some members of the elite
such as Seb whom I presume is one of the people I would consider an elite but
is nevertheless consistently fair and decent despite years of exhaustive work.
baseborne and base-educated "dirty nothing" as the top cheese of UTexas called
us.

iac-discussion-owner@yahoogroups.com
>Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 13:53:46 +0100
>Subject: [iac-disc.] Twenty Iraqi POW's claim abuse by coalition troops -
Sunday Times

> [...]
>complaints ranging from allegations of prisoners being kicked and beaten
>with weapons to the application of electric shocks.
>
>The organisation, which is seeking to corroborate the claims, believes some
>of the acts described constitute torture and could be in flagrant breach of
>international law.
>
>The new allegations come in the wake of a Ministry of Defence (MoD) probe
>into claims that a group of British soldiers photographed themselves
>"torturing" Iraqi captives.
>
>The government has sought to contrast the fair conduct of British troops
>with the brutal methods used by the deposed Iraqi regime. Tonight the BBC
>will broadcast controversial footage of the bodies of two British bomb
>disposal experts who were killed by Iraqi militiamen following an ambush in
>southern Iraq.
>
>The decision to air the seven-second clip, originally shown by Al-Jazeera,
>the Arab satellite news channel, has angered the families of Staff Sergeant
>Simon Cullingworth and Sapper Luke Allsopp. However, the BBC claims the
>footage, in which the dead soldiers' faces have been obscured, is "in the
>public interest" as it highlights the difference in news values between
>Al-Jazeera and western broadcasters.
>
>During the war Tony Blair claimed the two men had been executed, but
>military personnel told their families they had been killed in action. This
>weekend it emerged that Khalid Barour, a senior Ba'ath party official
>arrested in connection with their deaths, has been released without charge.
>
>The MoD investigation into the "torture photos" scandal was triggered last
>week after an 18-year-old soldier handed in a film at a processing
>laboratory in Tamworth, Staffordshire. One of the photographs appears to
>show a gagged and bound Iraqi prisoner suspended by rope from a fork-lift
>truck being driven by a laughing soldier.
>
>Other pictures apparently show British soldiers forcing semi-naked PoWs to
>engage in sex acts, real or simulated.
>
>Last night, Gary Bartlam, the soldier from the 1st Battalion the Royal
>Regiment of Fusiliers who handed in the film, was being questioned by
>military police. Investigators are believed to be interviewing other members
>of Bartlam's eight-man unit and may question other men in the battalion.
>
>Kelly Tilford, who developed the film, said: "I felt sick when I looked at
>the pictures. I immediately realised something terribly wrong had happened
>and something had to be done."
>
>Those involved in mistreating PoWs could face military prison as well as a
>dishonourable discharge.
>
>Evidence that abuse of PoWs was widespread would be highly damaging to a
>government already reeling from claims that it put pressure on the security
>services to "sex up" a dossier on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction to
>justify the war.

><FONT COLOR="#000099">Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To
Life's Important Questions.
></FONT><A
HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/WfTolB/TM"><B>Click
Here!</B></A>

Tom
Thomas J. Nagy, Ph.D.
Assoc. Prof. of Expert Systems
George Washington Univeristy Sch. of Business & Public Mgt.
Washington, D.C. 20052
home.gwu.edu/~nagy