[casi] FW: Sacked Iraqi Troops Threaten to Attack U.S. Forces

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=2860507

Sacked Iraqi Troops Threaten to Attack U.S. Forces
Mon June 2, 2003 06:41 AM ET

By Huda Majeed Saleh and Michael Georgy

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Thousands of sacked Iraqi soldiers
marched on the U.S.-led administration on Monday and
threatened to launch suicide attacks on American
troops in Baghdad unless they were paid wages and
compensation.

More than 3,000 angry soldiers from the disbanded
Iraqi army massed outside the administration
headquarters, in a presidential palace, shouting
slogans and vowing a wave of attacks on U.S. troops
unless they got their money.

"All of us will become suicide bombers," said Khairi
Jassim, a former warrant officer. "I will turn my six
daughters into bombs to kill the Americans."

Paul Bremer, the U.S. civil administrator for Iraq,
dissolved Saddam Hussein's armed forces, several
security bodies and the defense ministry last month,
firing 400,000 people.

Many protestors said they could no longer feed their
families.

"I have only 750 dinars (60 U.S. cents) in my pocket.
How can I feed my family? I have a crippled child who
needs medicines," said Sabah Abdullah, also a former
warrant officer.

Many demonstrators demanded that the Americans leave
Iraq. Anger toward U.S. troops has boiled over into
violence in parts of Iraq, which has descended into
anarchy since the war ended with widespread looting
and violence as well as power shortages.

By early afternoon around 300 angry protesters were
still outside the palace, a line of U.S. soldiers
blocking their advance.

"We will carry out attacks on the Americans and we
will declare a jihad if our rights are not respected,"
said Mohan Qahtan, another former soldier.

"A MILLION RIFLES" Protesters carried banners calling
for the swift formation of an elected Iraqi elected
government, the immediate payment of salaries to
former soldiers, and a halt to any moves to form a
force to replace the army.

"The Iraqi army did not fight the U.S. troops because
it did not want Saddam Hussein. If it had fought them
it would have killed them and prevented them from
invading Iraq," said Talib Kazim, who was wounded in
the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war.

He said he used to get a salary of 92,000 dinars
(around $80) a month.

"I have been in the army all my life," said Mohammed
Karim, who served first in the regular army and then
the elite Republican Guards.

"America should treat us as it treats employees of
other ministries. They come to humiliate us. We do not
fear America or Britain. The million members of the
army are able to use a million rifles on U.S. troops
but we do not want harm."

One Iraqi was hurt during the protest, but witnesses
disagreed as to what happened. Some said the injured
man, who was lying in the road, was hit by a car.
Others that they had seen a U.S. officer hit him with
his rifle.