[casi] Re: ! petition warning !

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Dear Anai & list,
> I went to view the petition and it appears it was taken from a petition
> that someone here (Dirk Adriaensens) on CASI generated earlier this year.
> Notice the similarities:
>
> http://www.irak.be/ned/kalender/signatoriesIPA.htm
Yes, I did notice the similarities of the two petitions, however, Dirk's
petition was also one which was not sent to me to sign. The petition organiser
(Dirk?) simply added my name without consulting me.
> I agree with you that is was wrong to copy these names and endorse them as
> actual petitioners for that cause. But even more so, they added you without
> you even participating on any online petitions.
>
> Don't allow a situation such as this to discourage you from adding your name
> to a worthwhile (and real) petition.
The Irak petition is/was worthwhile, but how real can it be when people who
assume to know what you stand for, simply take your name and add it to their
cause without even notifying you, let alone asking to use your name?
> While we are on the subject... if anyone sees a petition created by me on
> thepetitionsite.com that has information that is clearly outdated (stop the
> war - yet its a new petition), know that thepetitionsite has taken it upon
> themselves to create petitions in my name. They refuse to acknowledge my
> complaint against them.
This is why I do not participate in online petitions. Good causes can be
endorsed in other ways. While petitions are important, there has to be some
safety mechanism for the signatories. Otherwise the whole petition looses its
value.
> Salwa's discovery is now prompting me to check my name on Google frequently.
> Hopefully, doing so we can catch the sites that have used our names, e-mail,
> and address inappropriately.

Good idea. Something we should all frequently do.
Salwa de Vree,
Leiden, The Netherlands.
*