[casi] US VP rules out deterrence, diplomacy

No Deterrents in U.S. War on Terror - Cheney
Sat May 31, 2003 12:55 PM ET

WEST POINT (Reuters) - The United States will not pursue deterrence or
containment policies in its so-called war on terrorism but would instead
seek to utterly destroy its enemies, Vice President Dick Cheney said on
Saturday.

In a speech to the 2003 graduating class of the U.S. Military Academy,
Cheney also warned that the United States remained willing to use its
military might against any nation supporting terrorists.

"The battle of Iraq was a major victory in the war on terror but the war
itself is far from over," Cheney told the more than 840 graduating cadets,
most of whom will pursue careers as officers in the U.S. Army.

"We cannot allow ourselves to grow complacent, we cannot forget that the
terrorists remain determined to kill as many Americans as possible both
abroad and here at home, and they are still seeking weapons of mass
destruction to use against," he said.

"With such an enemy, no peace treaty is possible, no policy of containment
or deterrent will prove effective -- the only way to deal with this threat
is to destroy it completely and utterly, and President Bush is absolutely
determined to do just that."

Cheney noted that the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, when hijacked planes
destroyed the twin towers of New York's World Trade Center and damaged the
Pentagon, marked the birth of the "Bush doctrine" that any nation supporting
or harboring terrorists was as guilty as the terrorists themselves. Without
naming nations, Cheney warned that policy remains in effect.

"If there is anyone in the world today who doubts the seriousness of the
Bush doctrine, I would urge that person to consider the fate of the Taliban
in Afghanistan and Saddam Hussein's regime," he said.

Cheney hailed the U.S. victory in Iraq, which quickly toppled Saddam's
government in Baghdad, as proof that the American military is the best in
the world.

"With our victory in Iraq we have removed a threat to our country and to our
friends in the region," Cheney said.

While making no direct mention of Iran, a nation along with Iraq and North
Korea that President Bush has called part of an "axis of evil," Cheney's
latest comments came as the White House is turning its attention to Tehran.

With military victories in Afghanistan and Iraq already in hand,
administration hawks have begun portraying Iran as an imminent threat.

The Bush administration has complained repeatedly about Iran's nuclear
programs, and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has accused Tehran of not
doing enough against al Qaeda members allegedly in Iran. The network led by
Saudi-born Osama bin Laden has been blamed for the Sept. 11 attacks.

That same rhetoric linked to "terrorists" and the threat of weapons of mass
destruction formed the basis for the U.S. invasion of Iraq in March. The
United States has since had trouble uncovering weapons of mass destruction
or conclusive links between Baghdad and terrorist organizations.