[casi] Mass Graves

Dear List,

Any chance of CASI supporting this?
The Mass Graves of al-Mahawil:
The Truth Uncovered

http://www.hrw.org/reports/2003/iraq0503/

Or have the HRW people sold their souls to the devil?

Ahmed

I have read the HRW material carefully and it does seem more and more
extraordinary the - inspite of stated protests - pretty odd that HRW have
not literally yelled their heads off re the heavy diggers used by US
military etc to 'help' excavation - and demanded the securing of the sites
pending forensic experts examination.

I do wonder whether (and here, again in no way am I querying the graves -
tho' forensic is vital not alone for possible identification and 'closing'
for relatives, but to really establish numbers) whether the reluctance of
the military is that they have been told not to intervene as some will be US
mass graves from the last Gulf war. First the burying alive of young
conscripts by US bulldozers, but many soldiers who were on burial detail
tell me that there are numerous mass graves of differing sizes, all over the
south of Iraqi soldiers mown down in 1991 and just buried, with no effort at
identification, reporting to the Red Cross/Cresecent etc., collecting of
identification.

There's a lot of questions raised by the HRW reading, in too much haste to
touch on others that jumped out at me know, but would be interested in
others comments.

Maybe Alun is right. In the Balkans when we wanted to find bad buys and show
our equally reprehensible and shocking assault (on route to the Caspian and
to establish bases there) was justified, care was taken (though the initial
claims of vast numbers did dwindle.) Who cares about Iraqis, they are more
isolated than ever, unable to compain, are only A-rabs - and the US has
achieved its aim : grabbed the oil. Dead or alive, Iraqis can rot.

Seeing that little boy kiss Blair on the cheek yesterday, too young to know
the two generations of children whose lives had been extinguished or
blighted over the last thirteen years, by a policy Blair backed so
enthusiastically - as this 'war' - I remembered another kiss on the cheek in
the region two thousand years ago, to indicate a betrayal. That placed on
the chee kofJudas. An unintentional symbolysm. With the pack of lies on
which the assault was built unravelling by the minute, it may yet come back
to haunt him. Let's hope the little mite doesn't die from the effects of
depleted uranium, in poisoned Basra, like so many before him.

Best, felicity a.