Re: [casi] OFF and the cash syphon

"Mark.Galloway" <Mark.Galloway@seamec.net wrote:

> There were pluses and minuses for the suppliers.
> For example, sugar prices can move quite quickly.

Mark, your comments are most interesting. But you
seem to speak from a "supplier's" perspective, which
is fair enough I suppose. In fact, you wrote about
this on February 28, 2001 (Re: Cash component - comment.)

Back then, you longed to "open the country" [Iraq]
and looked forward to "see some glorious capitalist
tendencies in the near future (Ibid). This of course
is a sentiment you share with Mr. Bush et al.

Nationalized industry is even bad for the mind,
you felt: "the average Iraqi has been brought up
without any possibility of thinking for himself or
taking responsibility in a way which the average
Westerner assumes is normal." (Ibid)

Hmm... The great "Western" mind is highly over-rated,
I believe. Just consider the impossible things these
average western minds believe before breakfast - in
the most sheep-like fashion. Besides, such prejudice
might prevent one from considering the situation fairly.

In any case, the purpose of my post was concern
with the denials of the sanctions' effects. I was
not concerned with the suppliers' fortune in this
catastrophic situation.

> Any sanctions regime is likely to produce abuse.
> Witness South Africa, Rhodesia and others. It is
> just one of the reasons for seeking their removal.

Comparing the sanctions against South Africa or
Rhodesia to the total embargo against Iraq seems
an extraordinary leap. Peter Haines, I believe was
fond of making the South Africa vs Iraq comparison.

Even Colin Rowat once implied that the two could be