Subject: RE: [casi] This is where the oil for food money was going.,

"Ahmed Shames" <ahmed@iprospect.org.uk> wrote:

> I am sorry, but did you actually read the article?

> "Iraq asked foreign companies to give it cash on
> top of the goods bought under the oil for food deal"

It's probably not enough to merely _read_ an article.
One would have to think about it and consider if the
claims made are plausible. Or else one gives up on
thinking and just believes blindly - what one
wants to believe.

But RT evidently has thought about it - and she
clearly understands how OFF was run. So she has
decided that the claims made by the Reuters'
article are not plausible. And I agree with her.

Ahmed Shames's reading of the article:

The idea Ahmed so gleefully jumps on is a good
one, I grant you that: The supplier delivers only
a partial order and hands the rest in cash to the
GOI. A great idea. But it's so obvious that any
fool can think of it. Or are you suggesting that
Washington was trying to benefit Iraq by such
obvious loopholes?

Here is a quick re-run on OFF procedures:

Introduced in 1996, OFF was a tightening of the
screws. The GOI lost complete control of it's
finances and sovereignty. The US meant to deprive
Iraq of even a cent of its own money. Called a
'humanitarian program', it was in fact another
sanction on the sanctions.

And that's how it worked (roughly):

1-- Buyers of oil (67% US) had to submit their
orders to the OIP for approval. These buyers
paid for their purchase into an escrow account
in New York controlled by the UN (the Bank National
de Paris). Iraq had no access to that account.

Iraq didn't get a single dinar from its own money.
A cash component was often debated but was derailed
by USUK. How Iraq would run its public household
was of no interest to the UN/USUK. For example,
pay for the upkeep of schools, hospitals, roads,
pay salaries, and so on.

2-- Suppliers too were paid out of that escrow
account. But the procedures left no loopholes like
the one suggested in the article. That's how it
went:

     (a) The GOI was allowed to make a list of
     what it wanted to buy - in consultation with
     UN staff on the ground. Once completed the
     list was then submitted to the OIP in New
     York for approval. Once approved, the GOI
     was then free to submit the order to a
     supplier of its choice.

     (b) Once a supplier had received an order
     order from Iraq, they had to submit it
     again to the OIP for an export permission.
     (Here is where the Sanctions Committee came
     into play.) Upon receipt of the permission,
     the supplies could then fill the order.

     When the supplier had filled the order, they
     were requested to submit an itemized bill
     of lading to the OIP, so the arrival of the
     goods in Iraq could be monitored.

     (c) And to monitor the arrival of the goods
     in Iraq, the UN used the services of a Swiss
     firm, Cotecna Inspection S.A. Contecna employed
     about 50 personnel to check the arriving order
     for quantity and content - but not for quality.

     They made sure that the items on the bill of
     lading corresponded to the items listed on the
     bill of lading.

     (d) Once Cotecna had confirmed the correctness
     of the bill of lading, confirmation was sent
     to the OIP. The supplier was then paid out of
     the escrow account by a letter of credit which
     the GOI was permitted to issue.

     NB: The lack of quality check by Cotecna made
     possible for suppliers to send inferior or
     expired stuff. By the time the GOI discovered
     the faulty goods, the supplier had already been
     paid - so they had no recourse. (France and Russia
     were the main offenders in this cheating.)

(This is all well documented - no lies will survive.)

Back to Ahmed Shames assertion - according to Reuters:

> "Iraq asked foreign companies to give it cash on
> top of the goods bought under the oil for food deal"

If you think about the procedures, you will see how
implausible this is. To "give cash" in lieu of a
reduced order, the supplier would have to send
_less_ than was listed on the bill of lading. And
Cotecna would have discovered the discrepancy upon
arrival.

You may of course suggest that Cotecna Inspection S.A.
was in on the act. But I don't think they would like
that suggestion. Incidentally, I have their address
in Geneva and I can write to them, if you want me to.
---

And now to Ahmed's second try:

> Hassan knew that Saddam tried to get money illegally
> from the oil for food deal:

> "Iraq tried to make companies pay an extra 15 cents
> per barrel outside the discount to provide the cash
> it needed"

First, Ahmed, you are putting words into Hassan's
mouth. Second, you are quoting him only partially.
If you don't care about Iraq, you might at least
care about your intellectual integrity.

Here is the full quote:

     "And so Iraq tried to make companies pay an extra
     15 cents per barrel outside the discount to
     provide the cash it needed. The US soon forced
     companies to refuse paying the 15 cents extra per
     barrel, and Iraq had to give in."

This was feasible. And _everyone_ knew about it,
including the U.S. - that's why they put a stop to
it. But it was Iraq's oil, so there was nothing
"illegal" about it. What was "illegal" was the
sanctions regime.

And the "discount" was for the benefit of the
purchasers, mostly US. The UN, ie, US dictated Iraq's
low oil price so they could screw Iraq some more,
while benefitting at the same time.

> He also seems to have known where the money was
> spent on. (I wonder how he managed to!!)

> Was any money spent on building humble palaces
> by any chance?

Shame ony you, Ahmed! This is simply beneath contempt.
To say nothing about CASI's reputation.

--Elga