Re: [casi] Last News titles, 21-28/05/03

>This will be the last of these regular news mailings. Not
I will miss them.

>I find it difficult to engage in politics when I see no >prospect of a
desirable outcome ...

It is a depressing time. And yet, all times are depressing in one way or
another.

Two hundred years slavery was legal in much of the US, then it became
illegal, but was still practiced in the important ways, and even today
there is slavery of a sort where people are bound to those with power and
money. The UN itself is enslaved by the power of some nations,
particularly the US.

"Legal" is a strange concept, however: an uncertain blend among morality,
ethics and power, and thus an obviously illegal practice, as slavery, is
designated as legal or illegal from one hour to the next. However, while
the occupation of Iraq may now be designated as legal, the war was not:
the law at that time was clear.

Power often trumps legallity and ignores morality. Yet, as it is power
which ultimately determines politics and law, the core struggle has not
changed -- only the trappings, rhetoric, and modes. Both morality and law
both are being violated still in Iraq, but if we wish to employ the legal
mode to set things to right, the power -- as always the underlying power
-- must shift. If the power is found then the law is found also -- it
still remains.

Law is predominantly a tool for those with power, conferring an aura of
legitimacy for the benefit of those who seek order, stability, tradition,
and rational cover for not accepting responsibility for their actions or
apathy. When the will, and power, is employed, law will fall into line.
The general assembly of the UN could have convened, United for Peace, if
it had the power and will. The structure of the UN and the Security
Council could be changed, if the power and will could be found. The
natural rights of the Iraqi people can be defended if the will to do that
is enaged by the peoples and nations of the world, but if people are not
willing to defend humanity, then no amount of law will substitute.

The struggle, then, is one of mind, spirit, and will. Arguments of law
become the language of intent and awareness, but the intent and awareness
must be the preceeding basis of any action. An enlightened species would
have no trouble at all using the current legal framework to enact
justice, so the struggle is to increase the level of enlightnment in the
world, and in particular, concerning Iraq. International law, the Geneva
Conventions, and all sorts of codifications and methods lie as tools in a
box, waiting for the builder to take them up.

The invasion of Iraq and deposing of Saddam has been in the works for
many years, as has the ambitions of the neo-cons. It was never a question
of whether to, but how to, and awaiting the gathering of power and
propitious circumstances to move ahead their intent. As they judged the
time ready, they intensified the propaganda, massed the military,
manipulated the political and economic structures, and put the thoughts
of their think tanks into action.

They are not finished. If we read the documents of the Project for the
New American Century, and "A Clean Break", we can find the general
strategies of the neo-cons laid out rather explicitely -- leading to
world domination.

Iraq is just one step along the way, and seems to me to be destined to be
a staging area for further actions. Afghanistan and Iraq are now both
occupied by US troops, with Iran in the middle, and with Syria and Jordan
squeezed between Iraq and Israel. With a secured source of oil and a
military presence in the center of the area it becomes possible to
consider dealing with Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt. In
this light it becomes obvious that the US has no real interest in the
welfare of the Iraqi people but the usefullness of Iraq as a martialing
area (the jewel in the crown), and a way to deflect dependency on the oil
of the Saudis. The only real difficulty is placating the people of the
world with propaganda, and diversions such as legallity, threats of
terrorism, high-sounding ideologies, or economic problems.

The US is already bankrupt: the states are in deficit, trade is in
deficit, the federal budget is in deficit -- but money is symbolic and
bullets are real. The lesson of Iraq is that when the political
maneuvering fails to win the prize, the military will step in, and as
long as the bulk of the American people remain bamboozled and or
disempowered military force can be employed.

In Iraq, there are several possible scenarios: A puppet government might
be installed. If Iraq remains unstable then the presence of US military
troops and direct control becomes that much more "justifiable". If more
terrorist attacks occur, so much the better for frightening people into
supporting the fascists and diverting more resources into weaponry,
information control, and detentions of dissidents. If plagues wipe out
masses of children, then there will be fewer young people to oppose the
empire.

I hope I am being too cynical, but I fear history does not offer much to
dispute that such fascists exist. But history also offers hope in that
over the long run the species has progressed, albeit in fits and starts.
The key is to get many more people aware of what is happening, and to
oppose it.

Right now the two major centers of contention is Washington and Baghdad,
with several epicenters. While Saddam had Iraq, the situation was on
hold, and could have persisted for years -- a buried treasure, secure and
wainting to be unearthed at the proper time. Once "liberated", however,
it becomes not just a treasure, but also a risk, for there are
possibiities that it may emerge into real freedom, which will ruin the
empire's plans. As such, it becomes imperative to defend Iraqi freedom,
to publicize every abuse, and to martial the consciousness of the world
into a focused opposition of imperialistic forces, not only for the
benefit of the Iraqis, but for all peoples. Do not ask for whom the bell
tolls...

"Mankind was my business!" -- "Jacob Marley"; A Christmas Carol, by
Charles Dickens