Re: [casi] Doctors tell how children's deaths became propaganda

In a message dated 05/25/2003 4:58:41 AM Central Daylight Time,
ya1980@hotmail.com writes:

> I did think that people opposed to the
> war were genuinely concerned for the Iraqi people and the losses we might
> have suffered. Now I realise that people's opinions of this war were based

As ever, your critique of "people opposed" infers a monolithic entity when in
fact there are perhaps millions of different combinations of reasons for
opposing the war against the people of Iraq.  No one that I know opposed it solely
because they "hate" US American policy. (Canadians, Mexicans, Central and
South Americans might take offense to your lumping them into US foreign policy)
However, if US foreign policy is wrong, which it often is, then opposing it
should not be presented as a pejorative.

As to "the losses we might have suffered," I am sure that the tens of
thousands of dead Iraq people don't consider it a "might have" but a reality.  I am
sure that the thousands who are being mistreated by the US/UK don't consider it
a "might have."  I am sure that those hooded and beaten don't consider it a
"might have."  I am sure that the thousands of mothers et al. who mourn their
dead don't consider it a "might have."  In fact, I would guess there are very
few who consider it a "might have" and those few are probably outside the once
sovereign nation called Iraq.

Shame on those who called for this war from the comfort of their computer
terminal.

Roger Stroope
Austin College
Sherman Texas, USA