Re: [casi] Doctors tell how children's deaths became propaganda

>saying anything these days, we truly live in an era of >unprecedented
disinformation.

Absolutely.

About the palaces: first, they looked nice, but it's been reported that
there were plastic chandeliers and such. Also, all the rulers have
palaces, and I suspect they were used much as other government buildings
are -- Bush has the White House and Camp David, which are both residences
and official meeting places. Now the US troops have moved into palaces.
Other Arab nations have palaces, and yet the people did not suffer as
they did in Iraq, under the sanctions. I've heard rumors there are even a
few palaces in England. <G>

Even if Saddam had a few billion squirreled away, and with all the
palaces, that still amounts to a small portion of what many of American
hawks and politicians have, and is dwarfed by the value of the defense
corporations, or the big media companies.

If we look back at the voices on the ground in Iraq, including from
internationals, there were real shortages and deaths. The water
facilities, as one example, which were destroyed during the Gulf War I
had not all been repaired, and supplies for maintenance were denied. When
one works out the money available to the people, there wasn't much there
to start with -- most wouldn't have survived without the black market. We
need only review the CASI files to see that. (And I hope that the website
and list will remain in some form even after the organization is
disbanded: we need to preserve the history, at least -- and the problems
in Iraq are far from over.)

Disinformation and distortion is everywhere. Did Saddam suddenly become
more monsterous after the sanctions were imposed, and ruin the prosperous
caounty that had been there?