Re: [casi] Travels around Free Iraq! - the Julia Guest reports

Dear colleagues,
                           This story sounds interesting. As you are already in free Iraq, familiar
with the country and not very far from the scene, would you be kind enough to incorporate it in
your itenerary and verify the story, or otherwise.
Good luck.
Muhamad
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fnews%2F2003%2F05%2F21%2Fwirq121.xml

>>> Jo Baker <jobak17@yahoo.co.uk> 05/21 2:38 pm >>>

> Travels around Free Iraq
>
> Before April 9 2003 there was little chance I would
> see cities like Nassiriyya, Diwanniyya or Samawa.
> So
> I had little hesitation accepting an immediate
> invitation to head south with Raed, who with a lot
> of
> ingenuity and a little funding from has started the
> process of documenting the real civilian casualty
> figures. .
>
> Raed*s political understanding of Iraq is a
> phenomenon. The website *Where is Raed?* set up by
> his friend Salaam Pax, while the government was
> still
> monitoring every word people in Iraq wrote or
> thought.
> *Salam had got fed up with me not replying to
> emails
> so he set up a web site which we both started
> writing
> material on. It was only supposed to be for us.
> After a while we noticed people had been looking at
> it
> as an example of ordinary Iraqi lives, it was very
> embarrassing. People were reading about my problems
> with my fiancé.* During the war *Where is Raed*
> started getting a huge audience. *We really panicked
> when the BBC quoted us and we suddenly had tens of
> thousands of hits. We decided to change the URL to
> Dear Raed and just prayed the authorities would not
> find us.*
>
> So having been back in Baghdad for less than 12
> hours
> I found myself in car heading towards Kerbala. The
> volunteers working now collecting the casualty
> information took us on a brief tour of a bombed
> area.
> Here we found a woman who had been sitting in
> central
> room in her house while the missiles were landing
> around her. One missile came through the roof of
> her
> kitchen; through the top wall of the room she was
> sitting, out the other side, through a second room
> and
> out other side of the house. It had failed to
> explode. Her memory of the shock showed in the
> tears
> she couldn*t hold back. *These are the real stories
> of the war,* said Raed, *People who have survived,
> and
> are now struggling to live in damaged houses.*
>
> Another house where the missile had come through the
> building, a woman explained, *It destroyed the
> house,
> the fridge, my son was killed* At this Raed became
> exasperated, *people don*t value life here, they
> list
> the loss of their son in the same sentence as their
> fridges, dammit*
>
> In Nassiriyya heavy fighting caused thousands of
> deaths. As the hospital director explained *most
> people could not reach the hospital with their dead
> [...]
http://www.samaritans.org/support/donations.shtm

London Borough of Hackney may exercise its right to intercept any communication which you send to,
or receive from, any employees or agents of the Council using its telephony/data networks.  By so
communicating you give your consent to London Borough of Hackney monitoring and recording any use
of these networks.

The Data Protection Officer, London Borough of Hackney, Hackney Town Hall, Mare Street, London E8
1EA datapro@hackney.gov.uk

Please contact the sender if you have received this e-mail in error.