Re: [casi] [Fwd: Harvest time: occupier vs. occupied

Dear Hassan and list

I apologise unreservedly if I gave the impression that I was denigrating
Hassan Zeini's knowledge and experience of Iraq. That wasn't my intention at
all. On the contrary, it was my own knowledge I wanted to denigrate. My
point was that what Alexander Sternberg was saying about a well-established
convention on the question of taking other people's land struck me as
improbable, but I wasn't as well placed as he was to know about it.

My criticism of Hassan was (and still is) that he has changed the subject. I
think its down to a confusion about the word 'occupied'. Alexander, as I
understand it, was talking about individual (Arab) famers encouraged by the
government to occupy individual (Kurd) farmers' land. Hassan was talking
about occupation by one people of another people's 'national territiory'. Is
Kirkuk and the area round it 'Kurdish'? or 'Arab'? or 'Iraqi'? On that
subject I found what he has to say very interesting. But it wasn't what
Alexander was talking about.

Related to all this is the feeling some people have that Alexander shouldn't
be allowed to contribute to the list at all because he has defended
sanctions. Although the hit-and-run interventions of some of our
pro-sanctions, pro-war contributors are a bit irritating I really don't
understand this point of view at all. In all the political situations I've
been in (my closest experience has been Northern Ireland) I've always
favoured as much contact as possible with 'the other side'.

In particular in this respect I regret that we have no Kurdish contributors,
certainly no-one who is articulating a Kurdish point of view. Alexander's
the closest we've got and I welcome what he has to say even if I disagree
with it, as I usually do. And if it prompts Hassan to lay out his
understanding of Iraq's recent history at greater length, which is what I
have always been wanting him to do, then I welcome it very much.

Peter