Re: [casi] [Fwd: Harvest time: occupier vs. occupied

Dear Hassan, Elga and list

If I understand Hassan correctly, he is saying that Kurds have no right to
the land they lost through President Hussein's Arabization policy because
the Kurds took the land from the Arabs in the first place, over two thousand
years ago. I find it difficult to believe that that is what he is saying but
I can't seem to make any other meaning out of it.

Nor do I really understand the strength of feeling behind Elga Sutter's
reaction. Elga seems to be saying that because the Kurds supprted the
Americans they are a contemptible people and it doesn't matter what happens
to them. It is certainly one of the tragedies of the world that oppressed
peoples tend to look to Imperialist powers to help them out of their
difficulties. I thought the Kurdish identification with the US was foolish
and shortsighted, but then I am looking at the thing from a  distance.
Unlike Alexander Sternberg, who knows the place, and the people, very well.

The main point Alexander was making is that there is a convention by which
you grab whatever land you can but when the rightful owner returns you know
you have to leave and you don't make a fuss about it. The main question to
ask about that is whether or not its true. And whether or not its true that
the Kurds are leaving long established Arabs undisturbed. If it is true its
a very interesting and worthwhile observation. Human nature being what it
is, it seems to me to be unlikely and I would like to get other views on the
subject. Preferably from people - and there aren't many of them - who know
the situation on the ground as well as Alexander Sternberg.

Peter