Re: [casi] lest we forget ...

On Wed, 7 May 2003 09:17:19 -0400 "John-Peter Hopperger"
<j-ph@mindspring.com> writes:

>Hassan and Felicity may be pleased to learn that
>Kofi Annan, Mr. Impotence, will manage to do
>little bleating in the foreseeable future.  I heard it

He is impotent indeed! My impression of Kofi Annan is that he is a good
man, but he truly has virtually no real power. The UN itself has hardly
any power, and what power they have is dispersed, pulling in various
directions, and easily ignored. Any funds or troops employed have to be
begged for from the member nations, and even the Securuty Council can not
pass resolutions which is not to liking of any of the five permanent
members (like the child's game of "May I?": "Take 2 steps towards
statehood for Palestine." "May I?" "No, you may not!".).

I've heard many right-wingers in the US complain that the UN is a "wimp"
(and use it to justify the war), but those same people see no fault in
the US not paying dues and otherwise using it's power to degrade both the
UN and international law.

It isn't clear to me what sort of leader Annan would be if he did have
power, but it's a moot question. He is a statue, nailed to a pedestal,
free to speak but not to act in any meaningful way.  Could anyone perform
better in the impossible job of Secretary General?

Criticism, I think, would be better directed at the nations who refuse to
give the UN any real power, on an irrevokable basis -- else it is like a
private police force hired by those who it is directed to police.